1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

2. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Orson Scott Card Enders game

3. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Started Animal Farm.

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

"To ride Hell's Chasm" by Janny Wurts

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished pratchett's pyramids, 2nd book of his that i've read. he can get pretty wordy but I liked it. Now about to start Maskerade by him as well.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Finally I've reached the 6th book in the book series The first man in Rome by Colleen McCullough.

7. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Started Guards! Guards! from Pratchett. Kind original to me so far.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Just finished The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis - very funky, though the more blatent of the Christian references were jarring.

Will probably now start of Cryptonomicum by Neal Stephenson.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

olimikrig, is the series any good?

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Colleen McCulloch? Isn't that Wayne Rooneys woman?

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky

I also want to read Joyce's "The Dead"

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution by A.J. Langguth. Excellent historical narrative of the Revolution.

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom. It's quite a good read, written in the same style as his Warlord Chronicles, but set during the Viking invasion of England.

14. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Excellent picking! Be sure to read "Crime and Punishment" and "The Demons" as well.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Diving into the father's-in-law Nick Ramage series.

16. Rhyllian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just started in on Conn Iggulden's Emperor: The Gates of Rome, and my instinct is to just chuck the book and go back to Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. I'm sure Mr. Iggulden's series would be plenty good taken by itself, but I got spoiled by Ms. McCullough's intense, six-volume romp, so now almost every novel about Rome I've read since just seems tissue-thin.

Also, just finished 11 volumes of Yureka, a manga by Hee-Joon Son and Youn-Kyung Kim. (That's the French translation title; in English, this will be published as ID_entity.) It's excellent, involving people playing in an MMORPG. By turns exciting, innovative, suspenseful, and just plain funny, I can't recommend it highly enough!

17. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Finished "Enders game" a great book, next Terry Goodkind - Wizard's First Rule

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just about finished "A Cavern of Black Ice" (Book One of the Sword of Shadows) by J. V. Jones. It has been OK and I'll carry on to read the rest of the series but it's not in the same class as Hobb and Erikson.

19. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Didn't see it when I did a search, so I will mention Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles. No magic or mythical creatures, but a good human story about the Arthur legend. It starts with Arthur and Merlyn's great grandfathers who are officers in the Roman legions. I have found myself very attached to the characters, feeling sad as they pass from the story. My wife is enjoying the series as well, so it isn't just a guy series.

Pick up or check out the first book, The Skystone, next time you are looking for something new.

20. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The Whell Of Time : The Great Hunt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.