1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Read the third, second, and fourth books in Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Fun stuff, though the romantic entaglements in book four are a tad whack--she has to date more than one person at once, or else violence ensues? Heh.

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm reading Master of the Cauldron by David Drake.

I admit I like the series, even though almost every book follows the same formula (All the characters get seperated and go through their own ordeals, get reunited for the big finale, celebrate).

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@AMAster - yeah those early books were pretty good - unfortunately the series is pretty much all down hill from there.

I am currently reading Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card. It has been o.k. so far but I am still waiting for the story to get beyond the introducing the characters phase.

4. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Just finished re-reading "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester. This tale of the revenge-driven Everyman, Gully Foyle, is still one of the great ones.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Lawns and Groundcover" by Eion Scarrow. Got to renovate my lawn before winter hits. Time to get rid of the paspallum and resow the bare patches.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    JSBB...when does the series start going down hill? I want a specific title to avoid :)

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@AMaster - I would say that book two is by far the best in the series and it starts slowly but gradually going down from there. I would say that they are still worth reading up to Obsidian Butterfly (book 9) but after that there is a pretty big fall in quality.

I just finished Seventh Son - it was o.k. but it really seemed to be more of a very extended introduction instead of a complete novel.

8. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just finished King of Foxes by Raymond E. Feist, it's the second book of his latest series. I really liked it at first, finally a book were Pug doesn't save the world from imminent destruction. Well... Pug was instrumental in saving the world of Midkemia again and will probably do some more worldsaving in the next volume. :p

9. Newfie Banned

"Dawn of Night" the second in the Erevis Cale series by Paul S. Kemp. Another thumbs up so far.

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Hitchhiker's Trilogy I - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just finished it. What a way to start a five part trilogy :p Starting on II - Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@newfie

would you recommend that i pick up dawn of night without first reading twilight falling? Dawn of Night is the only one they sell here, whatta hassle :mad:

12. Newfie Banned

You might be left in the dark some. I wouldn't really recommend Dawn of Night yet; I am only about halfway through and it seems to be getting worse. The first one was good though, if you can order it in from a bookstore. Revolves around three thieves' adventures with shapeshifting villains, first in a city, then in ancient Netherese temple in the jungle. Original and refreshing for a WotC book, best since City of Ravens. Also not bad are Venom's Taste and the Rage.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Red Prophet and Prentice Alvin. Both were decent enough and while they most certainly were part of the larger series they felt much more like they were complete stories than Seventh Son did.

I am not sure what I am going to start next - maybe book four or I might take a break from it and read Rhapsody. I picked it up yesterday, someone gave me books two and three of that series and they have been sitting gathering dust for quite some time now.

14. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm reading it to my daughter at bedtime. She wants me to get through the book before we see the movie.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How old is your daughter, that she is interested in Hitchhiker but not reading it herself?

16. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

She's nine. This way I can "edit" stuff if I deem it necessary.

She likes when I read aloud to her because I will give each character a different "voice."

Sometimes I even manage to make them sound different. :D

17. Harbourboy

Quality. I've also become much better at doing funny voices since I've had to read "Bad Jelly the Witch" to HB jr.

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

:lol: Found out we decended not from apes but from hairdressers :bang: And boy is misery contagious, even amongst robots. So the actual trilogy is over. Wonder what books IV and V have in store.

19. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

It's a actually a five part trilogy so IV&V are part of the 'trilogy' ;) . I think I'll have to reread it once again before I see the movie, getting a bit bored with Steinbeck's King Arthur although I just started reading it, Merlin is such a drag. :o Does it get any better?

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I decided to go for something completely different so I started reading Hawk and Fisher by Simon Green. So far the writing style is quite good but I had to groan a few minutes ago. The story just turned into an Agatha Christie locked room murder mystery and those almost never turn out to be half as good as Christie's ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.