1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

just finished pratchett's maskerade, my favorite of his so far. i may start a hatful of sky by him as well, but i'm no too sure since i haven't read the wee free men yet..

2. Newfie Banned

Reading "Queen of the Depths" by Richard Lee Byers. He is one of the better WOTC writers and this book is quite enjoyable.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

decided to start Lords and Ladies by Pratchett.

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Currently reading A storm of Sword. Still eagerly awaiting A feast for crows.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just started "Dissolution" by Richard Lee Byers. Seems to be the usual lightweight Forgotten Realms fare so far.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

In addition to Crytonomicon (which is fricking huge, I must say), I'm reading Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell in anticipation of doing my NaNo in that time period.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@HB
    keep reading. it may not be the gutwrenching stuff like hobb's or martin's but WotSQ is easily my favorite FR series. can't wait til Ressurection gets into paperback and sent here. Although reviewers in Amazon have slammed it as being the only piece of crap in a great series. what a way to end it.

am nearly done with lords and ladies by pratchett, it's awesome.

8. Edithe Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] just finished Lynn Flewelling Luck in the shadows
    a good rogue in a port novel.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just finished Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb (which proper boshed my head out).
    Just started Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It boshed your head? Is that good or bad? Hobb rules.

11. Newfie Banned

I must be one of the few on this board who really didn't enjoy Hobb's "Assassin' s Apprentice". I found him to be long winded and meticulous to the point of bogging the flow of the story down (What's with all the dogs?). I don't think I will pick up any more of his books. As a result of everyone's glowing recommendation of this guy, I won't even attempt to read any of Erikson's stuff. Am I the only one?

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The Assassin's books were some of the most fluid I've read. Page turning material - and the dogs are kinda an important plot element...

Also - no one compares Erikson to Hobb, so I don't see why you're turned off by that. If anything he gets compared to George RR Martin.

13. Newfie Banned

I am aware of the importance of the dog in the plot, but why so many? He must go through three dogs in the first book alone - if I was a canine I would be wary of Fitz.

I am not comparing Hobb to Erikson. Everyone likes Hobb so much and then they say Erikson has so many characters and the story is very complex. That sounds kind of like a borefest to me. Hey, to each their own, but the draw to Hobb is not my cup of tea. Erikson sounds even worse.

I just finished reading Chris Pierson's "Blades of the Tiger" set in the Dragonlance setting and found it very enjoyable. I will be tuning in to the Taladas Trilogy.

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Now reading "The Runes of Earth - Stephen Donaldson" a book I've been waiting a long time for (about 20 years) since the second chronicles finished. I've re-read all the first and second chronicles in preparation of this I hope I'm not disappointed.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It was just a strange ending and I didn't fully understand it, it was alo a pretty sad book from start to finish. His woman cheats on him and pisses off somewhere else. He gets thrashed to within an inch of his life when he did nothing wrong. He 'dies' and ends up in the brain of a wolf (!!!). He gets buried, and them exhumed yet is still alive. Then it seems he loses his dog at the end as well.

It was a good book, don't get me wrong, just strange. I'll be getting the next one. Assassins Quest I believe it's called?

Angels and Demons is looking pretty good by the way. But the similarities between this book and Da Vinci Code are ridiculous; it's almost a carbon copy if you ask me.

Oh, and isn't Robin Hobb a she?

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Barmy, (as I've mentioned in previous posts), Fitz is the most UNFORTUNATE protagonist EVER. Still a great read and one of my favorites, but depressing.

just finished lords and ladies which is my favorite pratchett book right now.

about to start the rage from the FR series by Richard Lee Byers

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Nibbling my way through Black, White and Silver Gryphon books by Mercedes Lackey.

18. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Barmy you're correct Robin Hobb is a she; her real name which she also writes under is Megan Lindholm.

19. Newfie Banned

Actually, Margaret Ogden is her real name. Megan Lindholm is another pseudonym.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Bah - I knew Hobb was a she.

Homage to Catalonia was thoroughly depressing (as can be expected of George Orwell - tragically this was history though). Spain was almost a good functioning anarchy before getting thoroughly pwned...

Edit: and bah, I misread my own post - because I never claimed she was a he, I claimed Erikson was :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.