1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

'The Golden Fool', Robin Hobb.

I love the story about Fitzchivalry Farseer, can't help it.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Jovah's Angel - Sharon Shinn

What a pleasant change of pace from that Merry Gentry book.

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I took a trip to the library to look for some Robin Hobb books, but they didn't have anything that started at No. 1 in a series, so I'm gonna have another crack at reading Anne Rice' Vampire Chronicles.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Finished Books IV and V of the Hitchhiker's Trilogy.
    Damn the Vogans :flaming:

6. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Shrikant
    (Choosing words carefully to avoid spoilers)

Didn't you think that the end of the series was at once infinitely disappointing and also exactly right?

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, I would have to agree with you on that Rhetorical Question?.

Rhapsody is coming along pretty slowly. The plot will be running along just fine and then it seems to just slam to a halt and drag on about things that so far show no sign of paying off.

Next, the plot alternates between being reasonable and plausible given the fantasy world that it takes place in and then being just plain silly in how implausible it becomes.

Maybe everything will pay off in the end but somehow I seriously doubt it.

8. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Rhapsody...first book is good, with something quite unusual in the middle...in fact, in my opinion characters are more interesting than plot...

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I would definitely have to agree that the characters are better than the plot. I was about 80% done when I have put it away for the week-end after hitting yet another "Yeah right, it is about as likely that this could happen as it would be for me to grow a second head" moment.

The fact that I like the characters is probably the only thing that is keeping me reading - I guess it will probably just end up as yet another example of the "Nice characters, pity the author couldn't think of anything good for them to do" phenomena.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Rhapsody was decent, but there're quite a few much better fantasy books out there. The next two books in the series simply became worse, as far as plot goes.

Currently reading "The Morgaine Saga" omnibus by C.J. Cherryh. The first few chapters weren't all that great, but it picks up a whole lot in the middle chapters--at least in the first book contained in the omnibus.

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

C.S. Lewis - Out of the Silent Planet.

I just finished Kurt Vonneguts "Cat's Cradle" which was fantastic. Hilarious and bleak!

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I guess I'm in the minority here. I've read the first four books of Rhapsody and enjoyed them. They aren't my all time favorites, but I thought they were a good read. I plan on buying book five when I'm done with my current inventory.

13. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Terry Pratchett - Lords and Ladies

This is the fourth book of Pratchett that I've read, and all I can say about his books is that they're bloody brilliant!! :D

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

@RQ?
    Agree with you. What I dont get is how such a species , the Vogons, was able to see the potential for the 'bird' to do what it did.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Rhapsody, the last couple pages actually stirred my interest enough that I may actually read the second book sometime soon.

I have started Hex in the City - the latest Nightside book by Simon Green. So far it is pretty much a continuation of the previous books - which is a very good thing as far as I am concerned.

16. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I've finally managed to continue on Anne Rice' Vampire Chronicles. I'm on the Vampire Lestat just now, and it's proving to be a great read.

17. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I borrowed and finished reading The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain yesterday. I'm an impulsive reader; it's all or nothing. :)

18. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

@KC

I read The Vampire Lestat before picking up Interview with the Vampire and found it the much better read of the two.

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Hex in the City, the ending was a little rushed but all in all it was quite enjoyable.

I have just started on Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Given how so many people here seem to like her books I figured I would give it a try. Nothing special so far but I have barely started.

20. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I just finished The Da Vinci Code, now I'm half through Andels and Demons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.