1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Wait, those things frustrated you? Would've made me cackle maniacally...

Ah well, different strokes and all that.

2. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A friend of mine handed me Captain Corelli's Mandolin saying that I had to read it, and that he thought I'd really enjoy it.

I'm halfway through it now, and loving it.

3. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Naw, the image of a Europe populated by the dead only did nothing for me. Particularly not when put into scene by a skilled author. Dunno why. But I remember you stating your having a sense of humour of your own, AMaster.

I got my chance for a hearty chuckle though... a few pages later. ;) Different stroke, eh? :D

As off as some of Stapeldons forecasts may be - the assessment of his future - our presence? - is highly astute and accurate in some parts. Frighteningly so.

4. Newfie Banned

Just Finished "Hidden Prey" by John Sandford. Not bad, but his Prey novels are on the decline. Read the Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson lately and found it fantastic. I am currently into Greenwood's Band of Four novels and found them pretty good so far (on No. 3). Hey, Irreligious Paladin, can't agree with you on the thumbs up for Marked for Death.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Ooooww, just finished Blood and Gold, now I'll have to wait till the Feast of Crows is released :(

Oh well, onto Death Trilogy, by Pratchett

6. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Narnia Chronicles - It seems that reading that one hundred times is not enough... :lol: ...

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Rereading Intervention/The Galactic Milieu Trilogy by Julian May - these books are amazing...

8. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Herman Melville - "Bartleby, the Scrivener"

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Royal Assassin - overall I found it good but not great.

I read Wolf in the Fold by Simon Green today - it was o.k. but not as good as the first three books in the Hawk & Fisher series.

First, Hawk and Fisher have to go undercover and must not act like themselves which is a problem when the characters and the manner in which they usually act is the main attraction of the series. Also, a big chunk of the plot pretty well just resolves itself without Hawk and Fisher having to do much about it.

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Jim Hougan's 'Last Merovingio (not too sure is called like that, I have a spanish version)

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I read Guard Against Dishonour by Simon Green today - overall it was decent - it was a step up from Wolf in the Fold but it was not as good as the earlier books in the series.

I have started on The Bones of Haven - again by Simon Green. So far it looks like more of the same.

12. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

i just finished salvatores newest series....decent, but more of the same **** with the same vocab.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Bones of Haven - I was pleasantly surprised, it was probably the second best book in the Hawk and Fisher series.

The ending wasn't really as good as it should have been though - Green had a perfectly suitable ending, I was nodding approvingly at it, but then he decided to keep the story going by going all grand on us. To make matters worse, the grand finale was resolved too quickly and easily.

I have started on Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb. It is off to a very slow start so far. Overall I would have to say that while I have enjoyed the Farseer trilogy, I am not anywhere near as fond of it as many of the other people here seem to be.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The Crook Factory - Dan Simmons

I love Dan Simmons, yes I do. Probably my favorite contemporary author.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sharpes Tiger - Bernard Cornwell.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

finished hobb´s farseer trilogy. the end damn depressed me, poor fitz :cry:

im around done with Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa now :)

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I just finished Assassin's quest too. I actually loved the ending - the Farseer trilogy was only ranking as good until the ending really pulled it up a notch in my mind. I find it quite common for a series to start well and then collapse at the ending but it is very rare when the ending elevates the whole series into something better. :thumb:

By the way, does it matter whether I read the Live Ship books or the Tawny Man series next?

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Spooky, JSBB - I've just started reading "Ship of Magic" by Robbin Hobb (Book 1 of the Liveship Traders) and I haven't read the Tawny Man series yet. I think this is the order in which they were written / published so it must be OK to read in that order.

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Read the Live Ship Traders first. Tawny Man follows it chronologically, and builds off a few things that happen in the Ship trilogy. Your understanding of certain "global" events will be much greater if you read the Ship trilogy first.

hmm. JSBB's reaction to Assassin's Quest's ending has me wanting to go back and re-read it. For the life of me, I can't remember just how it ended. Except that it was something of a...downer.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I will have to try to find book 3 of the Live Ship trilogy - I only have the first two right now and I want to have them all before I start.

In the mean time, I have started on Deathstalker by Simon Green. So far it is light, fluffy and pulpy goodness which is nice after the rather more serious Farseer trilogy.

Edit: I managed to pick up the missing Live Ship novel so I guess I will start on the series after I finish Deathstalker.

[ June 02, 2005, 18:23: Message edited by: JSBB ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.