1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #5

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
  2. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Just started "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams ... awesome author...

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Jinx High yesterday - it was decent but definitely a step down from the first two.

I started on 1634: The Ram Rebellion by Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarce this morning. So far it has been pretty dull.

4. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I finished The Dark Tower: Volume 3 The Waste Lands but I don't have a copy of Volume 4 Wizard and Glass. I started reading Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone.

5. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Hmm, Gardens of the moon was a real trudge for me, but Deadhouse Gates kept me captivated from start to finish. strange, that.

Just re-read Dude, WHere's my COuntry by Mike Moore

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    House of Chains

Erikson, as far as I'm concerned, is unquestionably the best fantasy writer around.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I am still trudging away at The Ram Rebellion but I should be finished either during my lunch break or on the train ride home.

I left The Ram Rebellion in my car last night so I actually started on another book this morning while eating breakfast. I read the first short story in The Grantville Gazette 2 - part of the same series by Eric Flint and others. The first story was o.k. but it would have been better if it was part of a longer story.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Re-reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I just received yet another package from Amazon, so I have plenty of "work" spelled out for me when I'm through with it, but it's not the kind of book you just lay down!

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Ram Rebellion - it was pretty dull. I am going to finish Grantville Gazette II and then I am finally going to start on Robin Hobb's Fool series - the science fiction book club finally offered the final book in one of its buy two get one free sales and it arrived today.

10. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I just finished "First Blood" by John Morrell--Yes, it's the book from which Sly Stallone's "Rambo" character comes from...

And though I like the movie, the book is WAY better.

Now reading "Creepers" by the same author.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

don't you mean DAVID Morrell? :p

never read Rambo, but the Brotherhood of the Rose is one of my favorite books ever. Morrell's old stuff is awesome, his newer stuff is passable.

finished Sea Dragon Heir. heh, it was ok. not really worth the time it took to finish the damn thing though.

finally borrowed a copy of A Feast for Crows by GRRM, starting that in a bit.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good call, Amaster. Still halfway through "Memories of Ice". Still have no idea what is going on with the likes of Silverfox and Lady Envy and Kruppe. Who are they supposed to be? Still think it's brilliant, though.

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, House of Chains (mind I'm only halfway through) has more or less made it explicitly clear that pretty much none of the mortals has the full story about what's going on; so it isn't just you who doesn't know. It's all the damn characters, as well.

There're some pretty major hints given, but since this is only book four, well, I doubt it's anything like the whole story.

Incidentally, has anyone read the standalone books Erikson collaborated on that are set in the Malazan world? I.e., are they worth picking up?

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Havent read them but it was someone who recommended them. I know that one of them is about those funky necromancers of which I dont remember the name of. Sounds like cool characters to base a story around.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Finally, I got the third book of Avatar Trilogy (Waterdeep) this was the book I wanted to read soo badly, I am a BG2 fan, and thanks to this book I now witnessed the demise of Bhaal. Anyway, I liked the book. A lot. I finished it in one good read, I just could not leave it.

But now I have some questions to be answered, I am not satisfied with what happened to Kelemvor. I know he later becomes a God too, but how? When? Do you know which book I should get next to further learn about his fate? No spoilers please. Thanks!

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Silverstar

iirc, it happens in Prince of Lies by James Lowder. The one after that is Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad by... Troy Denning? I'm not that sure anymore, been a while.

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

The Far Side gallery 5 - Gary Larson

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Almost finished the third Dune novel. Compared to the first two this one is a struggle to finish.

After this I'll probably read another discworld.

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Just got 'A Game Of Thrones' by George Martin out of the library after hearing so much about his great writing. You lot better not have led me astray!
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.