1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #5

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Now that I'm reading Dread Empire, Kruppe is a lot--a lot like Mocker. Not a complaint, mind, but you can see Erikson wasn't kidding when he said Glen Cook was a major influence on him.

Now that I'm on the last of the three books included in the omnibus, I think that Dread Empire is better than the Black Company was.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished The Thousand Orcs this morning - it was decidedly mediocre but I am continuing on to The Lone Drow.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan. It's interesting, but I don't think it's telling me much that I didn't already know...

Oh well, should make a good reference for an assignment I have to do...

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Flight of the Nighthawks by Raymond E. Feist.

There was some re-telling and backtracking that I did not like at all, some even went a bit differently than before IIRC (it has been a few years since I last read the older books). But nevertheless, it was a good book and the Darkwar Saga may be the best one that Feist has written in a while.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Lone Drow on the plane yesterday and I started on The Two Swords. I finished The Two Swords today while sitting around the office here with nothing to do. Overall I was pretty unimpressed with the series.

Next up will be Promise of the Witch King but it is sitting in my suitcase back at the hotel so I will have to wait until I get back to my room to start on it.

6. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The Spearwielder's Tale by Salvatore

I have enjoyed most of his books but I am having a hard time getting into this one.

@JSBB
    I just finished Promise of the Witch King and thought it was good.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

So far I have found Promise of the Witch King to be decent. I wouldn't go so far as to call it good but it is better than the Hunters Blade trilogy.

8. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The Black Company series is disorganized and rambling, but charming as hell. And you claim Dread Empire is better? I'll have to get hold of it, if possible... *whee*

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have finished "Star Wars: Outbound Flight" but I couldn't find any other good Star Wars books at the library, but I did find "House of Chains' by Steven Erikson, so I am back reading that again. Karsa Orlong rules.

10. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Tonight's reading: Fortress in the Eye of Time, Cherryh. As always with C.J.Cherryh, great characters, long tense dialogues and a somewhat washed-out colourless world.

Woohoo! Book four of the Kencyrath is finally out, after twelve years! P.C. Hodgell. Start with "God Stalk", keep on until the new "To Ride a Rathorn" (the title will make more sense by that time).

[ October 03, 2006, 21:09: Message edited by: bugmenot ]

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass, last of the His Dark Materials trilogy. I'm liking this series more and more with each book. It's a bit too much at times, but it's quite good overall, and has some very interesting twists. Not a traditional fantasy series, but that's a good thing.

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

John Gardner's The Wreckage of Agathon. Also, finished reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and sections of The Canterbury Tales for class.

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie - so far looking very good.

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Promise of the Witch King last night - it was okay but nothing special.

I have just started on Phule's Errand by Robert Asprin and Peyter Heck.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@JSBB

is that a spoof of Fool's Errand? :confused:

Didn't finish Wings of the Wind, too dramatic when I was expecting an action novel.

Anyways, I bought the Warcraft War of the Ancients trilogy by Richard A Knaak of Dragonlance fame. Pretty good stuff imo. Finished Weel of Eternity and Demon Soul and have just started the last volume, The Sundering.

16. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I'm starting now Gardens of the Moon. I had a hard time trying to get a copy of this book here in Brazil. I hope that all the effort payoff eventually.

17. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Dr Faustus, for uni, and A Scanner Darkly, also for uni

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    About a 3rd through The High Lord, book 3 of the Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. They're pretty good :) .

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It will be. That series is great. But why should it be so hard to get hold of? Just order them from any of the websites at the top of this page. Then it doesn't matter what country you are in.

20. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I could, if I had an international credit card. Lame, huh? :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.