1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #5

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@ Enagonios - No, Asprin's Phule series has been going on for quite a few years now - it started long before Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy came out. It is a military sci-fi comedy series. Overall it is fairly similar in tone with Asprin's Myth series but focusing on the misadventures of a unit of misfit space marines. The first couple were good but the last few have been kind of dull - but the same can be said for the Myth series too.

I finished Phule's Errand today - there was one kind of dumb but funny joke that I got a chuckle out of but that was pretty much all that was even mildly entertaining about it. I seem to be on a streak of boring books. It is the Canadian Thanksgiving week-end and we are having a big family get together at my parents' cottage so I probably won't start on anything new until Tuesday.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Rereading The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling

Pretty solid.

3. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    After George Martin's Game of Thrones, I have taken Clash of Kings out of the library.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just finished The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. It was quite entertaining (though I thought the ending was a bit anti-climatic and left a few loose ends I'd prefered she'd tied up).

What should I read next, peeps?

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Barmy - did you ever read the new Robin Hobb books? You loved the Fitzy books so much, why not give her new series a go? Or the books she wrote as Megan Lindholm?

Assuming you have given up on Erikson, of course, which would still be my number one recommendation.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That Shaman malarkey? Doesn't really appeal to me mate to be honest. But then again, a series of books about bloody trade ships didn't really get my interest until I started reading, so maybe I will give the new series a go.

I'm really interested in 'expanding my horizons' with authors. I mean, I'd never heard of Trudi Canavan before and her books were page-turning and involving. Good stuff.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Barmy, read Dan Simmons' Hyperion; your life will not be complete until you do so.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found Hyperion to be overhyped without even really having heard much about it before I read. The typical kind of books that at first glance seems really really good with interesting and original ideas but then it really isnt anything. Just a standard decent sf book.

9. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Trying to wait patiently for the next Martin book, but failing miserably.

Barmy, try the next Trudi Canavan series. The first book is called Priestess of teh White, and is pretty good. I'm about to start the 2nd.

Now re-reading Faustus, having just read A Scanner Darkly, which majorly confused me. Next on the list is Neuromancer, William Gibson

10. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Death Gate Cycle 5: The Hand Of Chaos by Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman, for the unhhh... fifth time? :p

11. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Working my way through Janny Wurts ongoing series. Currently on Fugitive Prince.

12. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Did you read Fall of Hyperion as well? It's... rather gripping.

13. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Besides, Gardens of the Moon , which is pacing up and looking good, I’ve just recently started Jorge Luis Borges’s El Aleph . The first story was pretty impressive. I’m really excited about this one.

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Currently reading "Robinson Crusoe" (at home). Superb.

I just finished Robert Rankins "Nostrodamus ate my hamster" (at work). Very funny, clever story telling.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Man, that was good stuff. Am now playing Warcraft3 again through to Frozen Throne just to keep going on with the story from the novels :D

Also, am reading Lord of Light by Philip Athans, the 2nd installment in his Watercourse trilogy in the FR setting. Wanna borrow it Tal? ;) :p

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I started Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris yesterday and finished it this morning. I was a little surprised as it was actually pretty good. I will be starting Dead as a Doornail (the next book in the series) during my lunch break.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Dead as a Doornail - it was of similar quality as Dead to the World (which is a good thing).

I have just barely started on 1635: The Cannon Law by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

The characters in Philip Athans' Watercourse trilogy are the most unlikeable characters ever. I just finished book 2 and I don't like ANYBODY.

Anyways, starting The Tomb by... err, F. Paul something. Supposed to be quite good.

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just started re-reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley for the first time in more than a decade.

20. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Grisham's "The Chamber". Interesting, but not his best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.