1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Montresor taught me how to type Gödel. Have to do it in notepad but now I do know how to do it.

A World Without Time is slow going but mesmerizing. I wish I remembered more college logic - I have to keep stopping to look things up, but it's still fascinating.

2. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've finished The Unicorn Girl series by Anne McCaffery. I've got to tell you, the titular character is annoying beyond belief. After the first few Chapters through the first book, I almost gave up.
    Fortunately, the secondary characters in the book are pretty funny and well-developed. And, after the first book, the characters just get better and better.
    And the titular characters hardly develops in any meaningful way at all...Except to whine more. She has her moments...But, not many.

In continuing with my 'Space-Fiction', I've started on the Deathstalker series by Simon Green. I'm liking it so far.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

crap, I misplaced Sacrament :doh: until it turns up I will re-read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. I'll probably be done before I fall asleep tonight. If Sacrament hasn't turned up by then I will start on my new purchase, Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner. It's supposed to be quite good.

4. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Rereading The Listeners, James Gunn.

@Enagonios, Thomas the Rhymer is a quite good and traditional fairy tale. I liked it. Quite different in tone from Swordspoint.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Finished Slaughterhouse-Five... don't know what to go for next.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

erm. I still can't find Sacrament and I left my copy of Thomas the Rhymer in my bag at the gym so til I get it back I'm going to re-read Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie. Gods, I love Hercule Poirot. Give me an egocentric belgian over a scatterbrained englishwoman any day of the week.

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm reading 3 at the moment:

Road to the Patriarch (Entreri & Jarlaxle book 3)
    The Children of Hurin

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist

9. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Starship Troopers- Heinlein. Awesome book, funny film.

10. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson.

Just got it from amazon.

Some facts for those of you who are interested:

910 pages (that's 20 pages more than Bonehunters)
    Better map of the Lether continent.
    'Dramatis personae' are those of Midnight Tides, plus the returning Edur fleet and the 14th army (= Bonehunters). But no Ganoes Paran, no Apsalar and no Cutter.

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    A Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond E. Feist.

It's signed by him to. Original copy from 20 years ago.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Burning Chrome - William Gibson is a fricking genius.

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Robots of Dawn while in England. I found it disappointingly boring. It was no where near as good as the first book.

I arrived home on Friday and found my large Science Fiction Book Club order waiting for me. I have started on Strange Candy by Laurell Hamilton. It is a collection of short stories and I would have to say that it is much better than anything else that Hamilton has published recently. I would take hope from that except that most of the stories were written quite a while back.

14. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Kathleen Taylor - Brainwashing: The science of thought control

15. revmaf

Finished A World Without Time, finally, and on the whole found it worthwhile - but the author kind of melts down in the last chapter and starts bashing Gödel's present-day critics, which I found a bit disappointing.

At loose ends about what to read next.

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finsihed Strange Candy. The last short story was a relatively new (2005) Anita Blake story. It is sad to say just how poor it was compared to the other stories that had been written between 1989 and 1995.

On the way home I will be starting on Summer Knight by Jim Butcher.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I just got addicted to Rome (the series) and have put Thomas the Rhymer on hold. I'm about to start The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCollough, picked it up at a used bookstore for 2USD, it's supposed to be quite good iirc..

18. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @revmaf, Godel Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid?

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Summer Knight and Death Masks (the next book in the series) yesterday. They were both very good.

I am continuing on with the Dresden books and will start on Blood Rites on the train ride to work this morning.

20. revmaf

@Morgoth, thanks, I have that somewhere and read it decades ago at least (I'm old you know) and it's high time I read it again - will sort through the book piles on my day off and see if I can find it.

The problem with my book collection is that it's a sort of literary Bates Motel: books check in but they don't check out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.