1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just finished Blood Rites - the series is showing no signs of any declines in quality as of book six which is always a good sign. They are good enough that I have not wanted to put them down and thus ended up reading in the evenings. I almost never do that these days.

I will be starting on book seven, Dead Beat, tomorrow morning on the ride to work. That is all I have, and is all that the Science Fiction Book Club is selling so far, so I will either have to hit the bookstores looking for more or move on to something else. :(

2. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

the witness...........by sandra brown

3. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Let 'Em All Go - Chris Economaki.

Economaki is a racing journalist and announcer who has been around racing for 70 years. It's a cool look at the history of racing in the U.S. through his eyes. Pretty good stuff if you're a race fan. Not so much if you're not.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Archer's Tale - Bernard Cornwell

5. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The Unquiet by John Connolly

I'm not actually reading it, I bought it today and will start it tonight

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Midnight Tides - Erikson

Do I even need to say anything? Frickin' cool.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Dead Beat over the week-end. I will definitely be looking to get the rest of the Dresden books.

This morning I started on Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. It was one of the Science Fiction book club "editor's picks". I have usually had good luck with their editor's picks so I decided to give it a chance. So far it has been o.k. but nothing special.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Despite my current Rome fixation, as I've just barely started it, I've temporary shelved The First Man in Rome because I just got a regular paperback copy of Erikson's The Bonehunters. Will start on it first thing tomorrow.

9. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Finished Reaper's Gale yesterday.
    Very good but not the best book in the series.

I am now back to Midnight Tides. I had forgotten too much of it so that following all strands of RG was difficult sometimes.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Dead Witch Walking and I started on the next book The Good, The Bad and the Undead. Overall I would say that the series is decent but the main character does tend to come across as a bit too much as a wimp who needs constant rescuing.

11. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Glass Houses by Jane Haddam. I like this mystery series for its interesting characters, and this one seems to be all about characters. The plots are rather repetitive but the cast is always interesting.

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Farseekers- Isobelle Carmody

13. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished The Good, The Bad and The Undead yesterday and continued on with the series to start on Any Witch Way but Dead. The series is o.k. but I wouldn't recommend going out and buying it.

14. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

betrayal..........book 1 in the legacy of the force.................by aaron allston

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reaper's Gale, seems to be as good as all the rest but man he keeps introducing new stuff and new people.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yeah, I just finished Midnight Tides a while back. But there was hardly a Malazan in sight. Makes one wonder just what's in the title "A Tale of the Malazan."

17. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Actually, for over 900 pages of content there is not much new "stuff and people":
    Just Redmask and the Awl and some minor Letherii & Edur functionaries. The rest is a continuation of both Midnight Tides and Bonehunters.

Midnight Tides is "just" a preparation for Reaper's Gale which has lots of Malazan involvement.
    But the same is true for Reaper's Gale which seems to be a preparation for something "bigger" as well.

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Any Witch Way but Dead and I started on A Fist Full of Charms which is the last book in the series that I purchased. The first couple books were definitely better than the third and fourth.

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "The great war for civilization: The conquest of the Middle East" by Robert Fisk. Always liked his articles and when I saw this behemoth cheap I thought to pick it up.

Finished Reaper's Gale and it was in the spirit of the other books in the series and I dont think I fully appreciated it on my first read through as I was so impatient to find out what was going to happen that I rushed through it.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Pretty Maids All in a Row - Christopher Golden

Not bad. WWII as a backdrop is kinda boring though. :bad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.