1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

troy lord of the silver bow by david gemmell
    going to get the follow up book tomorrow
    just found out that the author has passed away before he could finish the third book of the trilogy but apparently his wife is following the character blueprints he left behind and is finishing it.
    man, no more gemmell books. major bummer

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished A Fist Full of Charms yesterday and I started on Star Wars: Allegiance by Timothy Zahn. It is kind of unusual and nice to see a small scale story. It takes place shortly after A New Hope.

SPOILER: The only real problem that I have is that Mara Jade seems a little too good as the Emperor's Hand. I just don't see how she could have failed in her mission at Jabba's palace during Return of the Jedi if she was this good then.

3. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I liked Allegiance. A light, worthwhile read.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just started Shadowplay by Tad Williams, the sequel to Shadowmarch. So far it's OK, but it always seems as if Tad is telling the same story over again in a slightly different version. I will probably break off on it, once my copy of Al Gore's new book, The Assualt on Reason, arrives in a day or two from Amazon; then I will pick it back up again.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Allegiance. It was o.k. but I had two big complaints.

1) Mara Jade has moved very strongly into Mary Suedom and

2) The Luke/Han/Leia portions really seemed stuck in solely because Zahn felt obliged to include them in the story somehow. The plot would have run far smoother if they had been left out.

Oh well, I started yesterday reading Danse Macabre by Laurell Hamilton and then realized that I don't seem to have read the previous book so this morning I went back and started reading Incubus Dreams. So far they have both managed to live down to my low expectations for Hamilton's books these days. I don't know why I keep holding out hope that she will return to the form of her older work but I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

6. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Bah. Read Off Armageddon Reef if you want to see a bad example of Mary Suedom. Allegiance is mild in comparision.

Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds was rather good - somewhat Clarke/Heinlein-ish.

Reading Reaper's Gale now.

7. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    The Pale Horeseman - Bernard Cornwell.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    [​IMG] Great book, Dinsdale. Cornwell's writing is direct and fast-paced, with no bloated filler. Plus, he appears to research his historical subjects very well. Good stuff.

9. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    Chandos - I like it so far. The Anglo-Saxon period is my favorite historical period. I agree with you about his research and writing style. This is the first of his books that I've read. I definitely plan on reading more.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Bonehunters rocked.

I'm now starting Dune by Frank Herbert for the first time, I'm not really into Sci-Fi but my friend keeps pushing me to read it. Seems pretty interesting so far.

11. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

fear the night...................by john lutz

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Gossamer Plain by Thomas M. Reid. A new Forgotten Realms book, and a good one at that

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Is that the FR book with the Alu-fiend Aliisza or something from the WotSQ series? Damn, should've picked it up when I saw it, it's all gone now :doh:

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Dinsdale - I recommend the Last Kingdom, which is the first book in the series, and it explains a lot of what's happening with Uthred because of his backgroud with King Alfred and the Ragnars.

15. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Chandos - I'll have to get that one. Maybe I'll stop reading this for now until I do. Fortunately I haven't gotten too far. I'm having some trouble understanding why Uthred is so angry. It must be more than just not getting credit for killing Udda (I think that's his name, anyway). I'm sure that the first book will help me there. Thanks for the info.

16. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Enagonios: Indeed it was. Try the Amazon link, perhaps they have it.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finally managed to plow through Incubus Dreams yesterday and I have got back to reading Danse Macabre. It is as bad as the Gentry series, I am up to page 280 and there has been nothing that even remotely resembled a plot. Comparing the last three books to the first five is enough to make you weep. How could a series that started out so good end up being this bad? Why do I keep getting these books? I guess for the same reason that I keep getting Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books.

18. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Media:
    I quit reading the Pale Horseman and got my hands on The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. Now I'll read them in the proper order.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I think that will work out better for you, Dinsdale. Lords of the North is the third and most recent installment. :)

20. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Don Quixote, or "El Ingenioso Hidalgo de la Mancha", in the original version.

Talk about being overrated... It sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.