1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #6

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Duhless, by Sergey Menaev. It reminds me of Kalchev's work (is there a word for noiresque self-introspective prose, slightly like the protagonist's meditations in Crime and Punishment?), but with slightly less swearing. Not too bad, at least so far, but a bit overhyped.

2. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb.

It's a reread to gear up for Renegade's Magic which is announced to be available in July (at least by Amazon).
    Furthermore I got a little tired of Steven Erikson lately. So I needed something different.

And although a lot of people consider the Soldier Son trilogy inferior to Robin Hobb's former books I don't agree with them. I like these books as well. They are just different. And her concept of Magic here is very interesting and refreshing.

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Scardown by Elizabeth Bear, sequel to Hammered. Trying to simultaneously finish this one quickly so's I can get to the third book of this trilogy, but also to 'save' it for walks to/from work and on my breaks... :bad:

4. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@jaded empath, heh. You read a book while walking to work?

Still reading reaper's gale. Interestingly, the chapters aren't dated anymore, like they were in the previous books. Wonder if that means something...

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just started Ludwell H. Johnson's North against South - The American Iliad 1848-1877

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just started Dune Messiah ny Frank Herbert. Dune was awesome.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Laurell Hamilton's truly dreadful Danse Macabre last night. It was truly painful. How can the book be so long and yet have nothing that even remotely resembles a plot?

This morning I started on Art in the Blood by P.N. Elrod. I am only around 50 pages into it and already there has been considerably more going on than in the entire Danse Macabre. So far it seems like it will be decent but it is a bit too early to say for sure.

Edit: I finished Art in the Blood - it was pretty short and for a detective story it was far too blatantly obvious who the guilty party was. Still, compared to the last couple books I read it was a breath of fresh air. I have continued on with the series to start on Fire in the Blood. So far it has been decent but nothing special.

[ June 12, 2007, 14:15: Message edited by: JSBB ]

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Fire in the Blood and continued on with the series to start on Blood on the Water. Given that Fire ended with a cliffhanger scene and Water starts up be reiterating that scene it seems a lot more like one book split in two instead of being two independent stories. Overall I would say that they are decent in quality but not good enough that I would recommend for someone to go out and buy them.

9. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Finished Terry Pratchett's Thud! - great read but the best in the City Watch strand of Discworld is still Night Watch - and now I'm working on Alastair Reynolds's Pushing Ice.

I'm reading a lot but not posting a lot - home computer internet connection isn't very reliable these days.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

children of dune

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Water on the Blood and I must say that the ending was very abrupt and left a lot of things unresolved. The series is really resembling a serial at this point and given how short the books are you have to think that combining some of them would have been appropriate. Of course I have them in an omnibus edition so I guess that is in effect what has been done after the fact.

I am leaving on vacation today so I probably won't start anything until the beginning of July.

12. Dragon3 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

acorna's children:first warning............by anne mccaffrey and elizabeth ann scarborough

13. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Started reading Dune series.

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I'm trying to find the Liveship Traders trilogy so I can read those before the Tawney Man trilogy... I didn't realize they came before until after I had bought the Tawney Man trilogy...

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just finished Stephen King's "Lisey's Story", not bad, just started Dean Koontz's "Life Expectancy", still haven't found anything of Dean's that's grabbed me like his Odd Thoas books though

16. Latro Gems: 5/31

@Saber:

'Liveship Traders' and 'Tawny Man' are connected so loosely that you can read them in any order without fear of major spoilers.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Oh :( Well, I just went out and bought Liveship Traders and started reading them, so I think I'll finish them before moving on anyways. No sense in stopping a good book.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I could not disagree more. If you read The Tawny Man before Liveship Traders then the whole dramatic point of Liveship Traders is completely given away. Liveship Traders comes first and would be nowhere near as good if you knew how it ended.

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Without my school library available now, I have no clue what I might read... perhaps Joseph Heller's 'Catch 22.'

20. Latro Gems: 5/31

@Harbourboy

Let's agree to disagree ;)
    I have read the books in this sequence and I didn't have a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.