1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

So, so true. It's utterly bizzare that Jordan said something to the effect that he modeled all his women on his wife. Why would he ever tell anyone that? It's not a compliment!

*tugs braid*
    *smoothes dress*

At least his women are better than Frank Miller's, though that's not saying a lot.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To be honest, the females I have encountered who have read WoT absolutely love his women and how he writes them. Just goes to show that women really are from some other planet.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The first omnibus of Gotrek and Felix. Only a hundred pages or so in but it's ok.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I just finished Mario Puzo's The Sicilian and Omerta - not bad (actually the first was imo very good), but I don't think I'm really into the genre. I will most likely either go for some fantasy or check out a collection of Woodhouse stories I bought on the last book fair.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    After taking a 5-year break from Dragonlance (I'd read the Chronicles and Legends trilogies by Weis & Hickman) I've gone back and read through The Second Generation. I'm now halfway through Dragons of Summer Flame and am enjoying it. The Dragonlance books will never count among the best I've read but they're still quite good and enjoyable adventures.

6. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

well bad prose and a stale storyline are a solid 1/2 of the main traits of Ayn Rand... the other two being thematic vacuity and a truly moronic attempt at "philosophy"! So it seems like if the author is an Ayn Rand wannabe he is at least halfway there. :cool:

As for me, I'm about to read Macbeth, the selection on Macbeth in Harold Bloom's volume of Shakespeare criticism, parts of a book called "Life in Shakespeare's England", and some relevant selections from the Oxford Companion to the Theater.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    There's nothing really wrong with Rand's philosophy, it is actually quite a good one although I cannot completely convince myself of the main points of objectivism, however I do believe that personal freedom and the freedom of the market are very important things. If you want to talk about 'truly moronic attempts at "philosophy"', talk about Hegel.

OT:
    Currently I'm reading War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, before that I finished Gödel's Proof, which was an excellent book, and the Trilogy of the Drow.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  8. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

While I disagree with his methodology and everything he had to say, Hegel, when you consider him in the general context and have a proper background in Kant, is a much better philosopher than Ayn freaking Rand. There is a reason why nobody in philosophy reads or cares about Rand... her argumentation is at best sophomoric rehashes of arguments much older than her, and at worst so utterly wrongheaded that it defies characterization. Ayn Rand's attempts at philosophy would not pass muster in a 200-level undergraduate philosophy class, let alone are they good pieces of original philosophy!! If you want a defense of a free market political philosophy you would do yourself a great great great intellectual disservice to base it off Rand!

Gödel's Proof is that newish non-technical popularization edited by Hofstadter, right? I hope he didn't write it like he wrote Gödel's, Escher, Bach! If you have a background in logic, set theory, or philosophy of logic I'd recommend Peter Smith's Introduction to Gödel's Theorems for a bit more sophisticated treatment.

If you like War and Peace do read some of Tolstoy's short stories... they are unfairly neglected at times in favor of W&P and Anna K, but I think they are just as good!

Also: Cool sig! :) Horray Kant.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Go talk to a conservative philosophy major or professor, at a conservative school. They'll explain why Rand is awful. It's not just 'I'm liberal, so I think she's dumb'.

It's even better than that. Rand has that creepy stuff about men overpowering women, and Goodkind has...70 straight pages of sexual torture in his first novel.

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Currently reading Robert Silverberg: Lord Valentine's Castle

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow. I read that probably more than 20 years ago; I don't even remember what it was about. :)

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm re-reading it after almost as many years. It's about a dispossessed ruler.

A short synopsis to refresh your memory:

At the beginning, Valentine finds himself without memories in a meadow. But he soon starts having dreams that indicate that he is far more than a merry wanderer who just happens to share his name with the planets ruler, the coronal; in fact he *is* the coronal. His soul has been transplanted into this body while another man has stolen his body and is now ruling in his stead. Valentine now has to prove that he is the rightful coronal and regain his throne.

13. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Starting The Discourses and The Encheiridion, both by Epictetus

14. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke.

15. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

The major plays of Henrik Ibsen, and a biography of Henrik Ibsen.

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Magician`s Guild, by Trudy Canavan. Its quite good. Part of a trilogy.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The dragon in the sea by Frank Herbert. One of his early books (pre-Dune I think). An excellent and very satisfying psychological thriller.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

just finished Reaper's Gale. Man, Erikson really tied up some loose ends on this one by just cutting them loose, heh. about to start night of knives that novel also set in the Malazan universe.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

finished night of knives. not erikson quality but good if you want some backstory on the malazan universe. deals with the story of Temper who is mentioned several times in Erikson's books and sheds some light on the ascension shadowthrone and cotillion. not great though.

about to start soldier of sidon by gene wolfe, 3rd installment of the latro series

20. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The Essence Of Christianity by Ludwig Feuerbach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.