1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    You've got to be kidding me. Being crazy is the only way you can have a family. You obviously have never had kids....:roll:

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reading "Best Served Cold" Abercrombie's latest novel. It is well worth the read but I think Joe has gone overboard with the "grit". Good novel, a bit different but I think he won't join the greats. He is part of what I like to think of as "the second tier" of writers. Not superawesome as Martin, Erikson or Hobb when they are at their best but still good quality novels that challenges and expand the way to write fantasy. Quite a lot of them now; Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Lynch, Morgan and several more.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Continued the "well-written tragic love story" theme by reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Once again, you feel the emotion even more because it appears so understated.

On my 28-hour train ride from Guilin to Beijing, I also finished "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. Must agree with the general comments at the start of the book. Funny yet extremely disturbing at many times. I can't imagine actually having lived that man's life.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Le Carré's A Most Wanted Man.

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

"Turn of the Screw" by Henry James... it was... meh, at best. Not sure why it's such classic horror. Perhaps I need to take another gander.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Brothers Karamazov - so it turns out that, indeed, the accumulated literary wisdom of over a century is quite correct: Dostoevsky is ****ing great.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    This particular book is his greatest IMO. Out of a nothing but great books :)

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

World War Z by Max Brooks, basically a series of interviews with survivors of a zombie apocalypse. I'm only a hundred or so pages in but I really like it.

9. Saber

The Other by Thomas Tryon. I read the last 200 pages in 2 hours today. It is a good book, great horror novel.

10. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Amber & Blood ... It seems to be picking up a little from the first two volumes. Although, it did start out great I seem to be getting to a dry spot a quarter the way through. I'm hoping it will pick up again...

11. Saber

I am reading some of the stories from The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe. I read The Pit and the Pendulum (pretty good), and have to read The Cask of Amontillado (which I already like), Ligea, and... one other that I cannot recall at the moment.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    @Saber: does it include William Wilson? This story is one of my favourite with The Masque of the Red Death. Great short stories.

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I need to steal my dad's copy of that and read it again. First time through I couldn't go straight, because even though I loved it, it just wasn't a book that I could read for hours at a time or had a great desire to pick up again. Even then I recognized the brilliance.

Just can't imagine how an author can combine a great story, thought provoking ideas, and such writing skill (kudos to the translator as well) in one piece.

Considering reading through the LotR again. Haven't read the last two in 7 years or so, and about 5 years since my last trip through the Hobbit and Fellowship.

14. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Saber: If you read the three Auguste Dupin stories The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Purloined Letter and The Murder of Marie Roget, you will see where Arthur Conan Doyle found much of his inspiration for Sherlock Holmes.

Glad to see you will read The Cask of Amontillado! :D

15. Saber

We don't have to read any of those for my class, but I will definitely check them out. It does include William Wilson. (It is the complete works of Poe :p )

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The Pit and the Pendulum and The Mask of the Red Death are my favourites Poe stories. Definitely read the latter if it's in this compilation.

17. Saber

Ah, just looked at my assignment sheet - I have to read "The Raven," "William Wilson," "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Masque of the Red Death," and "Shadow -A Parable," as well, so looks like I'll be hitting up some of the ones you guys recommended.

"The Premature Burial" is the one I forgot the name of, but that was decent. Love "The Cask of Amontillado," so short, yet so sinister.

18. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Talking about sinister and scary, I have The best of H.P. Lovecraft. I only read one or two short stories in it, but I want to keep it for when I'm in a cabin in the woods at night, or something... :)

Caradhras likes this.
  19. Caradhras

Media:
    You can't have the best, there is no best! :flaming:

Everything he wrote was pure gold.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

So get the complete works asap! I have the three volume Omnibus Edition (Volume 1 At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels of Terror, 2 Dagon and Other Macabre Tales, 3 The Hunter in the Dark) and it was the best money I've ever spent.

Nevertheless I'd wish to commend you on "the cabin in the woods" idea. :p

20. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Reading Brotherhood of the Wolf, book 2 in the Runelords story. Book one was good, I liked the pace that it moved at, though the story in book 2 is slowing down, but the writer seems to be adding more depth to some of the characters. We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.