1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Scarpetta -- her villians keep getting more and more unbelievable (as do the main characters)....

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    In the series of public-transportation books I finished Augustine, A very short introduction and moved to Cryptonomicon

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

American Gods by Neil Gaiman again. Awesome stuff

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide.

Verdict will be arriving by monday.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm reading "Lord of the Rings" for probably the 20th time in my life...I saw it sitting on the shelf during a rainy day last week and started reading it. I never get bored with it...

Blades of Vanatar and Caradhras like this.
  6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Concubine's Tattoo by Laura Joh Rowland.

Someone with Korean and Chinese ancestry doing a pseudo-detective tale in medieval Japan. Hmm...

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson. By far the best work of his I have read. Enjoying it a lot, sure you notice that it is a debute book and the plot and characters are at times a bit naive but Sanderson can really create interesting settings and stories. Much better than the Mistborn and I liked Mistborn. Sanderson may not have the depth of Martin, Hobb or Erikson but he is a very competent writer and I will add him to my list of writers whose books I always buy. I was very pleased with his Wheel of Time book as well and think he can finish of that series with his own and Jordan's honour intact.

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Vladimir Nabokov's Pnin. I really enjoyed Lolita and Pale Fire, and this is supposedly another one of his classics. The subject is slightly uninteresting thus far, but the writing style more than makes up for it.

9. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just finished 'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller. As with all books (aside from 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes'), I have mixed feelings. On the whole, fantastic. Entirely glad I read it. His take on corporations was especially rewarding (Milo Minderbender). Funny. Disturbing. Some great characters. Sometimes too wordy. But quite good.

Next up: 'Slaughterhouse Five'.

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Reading Umberto Eco's Baudolino for the second time.

11. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Legends II, a fantasy anthology of some of the best fantasy writers around. I picked it up mainly for GRR Martins Sworn Sword but I'm still on the first story, written by Robin Hobb. It's really good so far.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just picked-up _Night of Knives_. Can't wait to see how it compares to Erikson.

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'm going to suggest, as I do to everyone, that if this is your first Vonnegut to go with Mother Night. Although it has less in common with his other books, this is by far my favorite.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Reading the best book first is like starting a dinner with dessert :p

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

But if dinner isn't that good, you may not want dessert.

Oh balls, that analogy falls short there. EVERYONE wants dessert

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't like dessert, prefer to stuff myself on the main course.

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I enjoy both main and dessert, though am not much for starters to be honest :p

I'm currently reading Clanbook: Salubri from the Vampire: the Masquerade - Dark Ages series, it's an RPG book rather than a story, but still I am enjoying it immensly :)

18. Saber

Requiem for a Dream... I am 30 pages in and god DAMN, the style of writing is annoying. The dialogue is not separated from the paragraphs (which I get is to make the reader read like a crackhead feels), and it is very difficult to get through.

19. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think 'The Road' was written in the same style. I haven't read it, but I did read the author explain that he did it that way so as to not, "clutter up the page". IDK...was that so cluttering?

Maybe they were both written by the same guy...?

20. Saber

No, Cormac McCarthy wrote "The Road," "Requiem for a Dream" is by Hubert Selby Jr., but I've heard that they are similar style. Boo on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.