1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I'm reading 'The Philosopher's Stone' (not Harry Potter) but I haven't got the book on hand and don't remeber the author. Started it quite a while back and got distracted by something else but I have decided to start again and will read a couple of chapters tonight.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Re-reading Catch 22. Love that book and have no desire for fantasy/sci-fi right now.

3. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The path of daggers by Robert Jordan

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Finally moved on to Revelation Space.

5. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Belisarius
    Just out of curiosity: How good is it? That is, compared to the godfather of the genre: Umberto Eco...

6. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm just starting to re-read the Dragonlance Saga, it's going to be a mission! :)

7. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Bored of the Rings. Not so good.

I finished Salvatore's Sea of Swords two days ago. It's ending was... well, quite surprising. Although there were too much fighting, once again.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Now readin Insurrection, the second part of the War of the Spider Queen.

I really, really like Phaerun and Ryld... the two of them simply ROCK. No other word for it. Too bad that they're not really talking at the moment.... :(

I'm a sucker for pwetty dwow boyz :p

9. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I am in the middle of Stephen King's Wizard and Glass - volume 4 of the endless Dark Tower. The first three were wierd, but pretty good, but this one sucks. As King himself said it, he is good at suspence, but really bad at romantic love. can't wait to get done with it and start Wolves of the Call - Tower N5.

10. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Donald duck comics :roll:

Getting Dark Elf Trilogy for x-mas though.

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Eye of the world: Robert Jordan

Maybe someone can tell me when to stop reading the wheel of time novels so it doesn't get old.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I just finished Murder in LaMut by Raymond Feist and some other guy. I must admit that the I was shocked by the way the main character resolves the story's central problem. Just when I thought that I was in standard Agatha Christie land the curve that was thrown completely caught me off guard.

In my opinion, the series started to go rapidly downhill after Fires of Heaven. I would say that Lord of Chaos was still decent but anything after that is a waste of time.

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

I am struggling through the Silmarilion. I'm finding it difficult to hold my attention to it. I'm thinking of reading LoTR again instead. I still have Canterbury Tales to read, I suppose.

14. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I've been struggling through Mel Odom's The Threat From the Sea trilogy. First book wasn't bad, but the second REALLY SUCKS. Piss-poor storyline, redundant actions, unrealistic, far-fetched dialogue -- in summation -- utter crap. Laid it to rest and picked up Greenwood's Shadow of Doom. It's not a bad start, but we'll see how it goes. (Odom's books were quite a disappointment.)

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Just read Fool's Errand in all of three days - writing style really sucks you in, so long as you don't slow down. :D
    Starting on the next book of the series very shortly...

16. SOK Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Has anyone read Gormengast because i tried and failed....it is SOOOOOOO BORING(My opinion anyway)

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Am reading Neuromancer, not quite as good as I had hoped.

18. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

Well, I arsed-off The Silmarilion, mainly because I had to give it back, so now I'm on to Bernard Cornwall's Arthur series. I read The Winter King and now I'm on to Enemy of God.

19. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In the middle of several series at the moment, I am reading Starman by Sarah Douglas. I am waiting for The Lone Drow and Condemnation.

[ December 29, 2003, 21:41: Message edited by: christopher_c_pitzer ]

20. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've read Neuromancer just recently... Quite interesting book or at least almost what I was looking for but the writing style for which Gibson is also praised unfortunately got me lost many times.

What am I reading right now is Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown. I must say that I am impressed. There's only one thing that bothers me a little and that is the main character's behavior that I'd more expect in a Hollywood movie than in a detective story as deliberate as this one. But that is just my opinion of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.