1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which is the Greatest Rock Band Ever???

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Blades of Vanatar, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    See: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Saber. It's pretty relaxed (and one of my favorite songs, regardless of band). It's even in the same meter as Homer's Odyssey. ;)

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When I was a kid everyone seemed to think Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Hey Jude were both about drugs -- when in reality they were both for Julien.

3. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I thought Paul wrote Hey Jude? But I could be wrong. John's Lucy, much like a lot of things he did, is full of multiple meanings, and the song is rumored to be based on a picture that Julian made for a girl in his class at school that he had a crush on.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There was a news article not that long ago about "Lucy" and how Julien helped her.

Paul wrote Hey Jude to comfort Julien when his parents divorced.

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I think Paul said that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (which is an okay song... I used to hate it, but I am neutral towards it these days, leaning towards liking/appreciating it) was about LSD, despite John claiming it wasn't. Not sure where I heard that (here?).

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Right. Sure. And I'm the Queen of Morrowind :shake:

John Lennon can claim anything he wants, no one is going to convince me that a song as trippy as LSD, which also just happens completely accidentally to form the letters, well, LSD, is about anything other than that.

Great song regardless, though far from my favourite Beatles song. Hey Jude, Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus, and some of their other trippier songs are great. Seriously, I think rock performers should be obliged by law to get stoned before writing. :p Look at what happened to David Bowie the minute he went clean!

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, I even did those three letters in bold on my post above, because I think that it is intentional and not an "accident," as you point out. The song has multiple meanings - John was a clever and inventive fellow.

Favorite Beatle songs besides Lucy: "Paperback Writer," "Rain," "Dear Prudence," "She Said, She Said," "Something" and "Let It Be."

8. T2Bruno

Media:
    Snopes says differently. I tend to believe Julien.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    As a big John Lennon fan, I always appreciated his honesty and candor as well. The only thing I will point out is that Paul was always hesitant to claim that "Got to Get You Into My Life," was about drugs as well, and not really a love song. During that time he pointed to how the public turned on them because of John's "more popular than Jesus," comment, and that it was difficult to admit to anything about drugs as well, because of a public backlash (people were actually burning Beatle records). Also, back in the late 60s Nixon was considering banning the Beatles from the US because of their candor about drug use (Even Elvis had suggested that to Nixon). Nevertheless, now I have my doubts. But thanks for the link, T2. I enjoyed seeing the orginal picture of Julian's.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Could someone specify the requirements of being a 'rock'band.

11. T2Bruno

Media:
    Whatever the definition, I think drugs are involved....

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Does that mean Stryper was not a Rock Band??? :p

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If your ears aren't ringing after going to a concert, then it wasn't a rock concert, and therefore wasn't performed by a rock band.

14. Ziad

Media:
    Lies all lies! He was STONED I tell you! :p

I don't think so, there have been plenty of rock bands/performers who didn't do drugs, or who stopped doing them at some point. I would say your statement would still have to apply to good rock...

Pff. Old man :p

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    What would you like them to be?

16. T2Bruno

Media:
    If you take away drugs, you're really only left with the Osmonds.

I rest my case.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Come on T2, the Osmonds had to been on drugs to take themselves seriously. Nobody can be that naive.

18. Ziad

Media:
    You've made your point :lol:

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I saw this in the news today: :(

RIP, Lucy, you will be remembered.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33057711/ns/entertainment-music/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.