1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who can honestly say they have 'true' friends

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sniper, May 17, 2002.

1. Well, that makes a bit of sense...
    I call a true friend who I can relay my feelings to them and them to me. When I'm feeling down and depressed and they can understand me and they can at least get me out of suicidal mode. True friends are people who understand you and let you grow up whenever you want. True friends are there so you can relax and have a great time and share the same feelings about each other. No matter where they are in the world they will always be in your heart.

2. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have friends that i don't see anymore ... they are half way around the world in Singapore but we keep in contact by e-mail and when i do go round there on holidays, we always meet up and its like, as if i had never moved away from them!

3. sorvo Guest

A true friend will pay back money they owe you and not try to F*CK your significant other. I have 1 definate and 4 pending:)

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I do have a few true friends.... however not all friends are true friends in the way you suggest how a good friend should be. True friends are hard to find... but also hard to lose.

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31

So considering that i've known my Singapore friends for about 5 years, of which 3 were spent while i were living in England. They only number to about 3 friends that have kept in regular contact with me ... they have always been 'true'... so i could say that i've been lucky there :)

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hehe, this suddenly reminds me of a dutch sentence:

Better a good neigbour then a far away living friend :)

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited May 21, 2002).]

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I'd aay yes. My number one 'true' friend is my wife. In addition I have been friends with the same group of guys for over 20 years. We grew up together and spend almost every weekend together. We have been there for each other more times than I can count. All it takes is the call in the middle of the night and I'll be there for them and I know the same goes in return.

8. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] I have friends. I don't cathegorize them. Personally I think that is weird. I enjoy them. I have fun with them. I share experiences with them, and I don't feel like doing this always considering how high they are in my coolbook. I feel like getting the best out of the days and evenings with the people I relate to. All are equally good or best. Else I wouldn't spend time with them... Friends aren't tools who you can label and put in boxes. They are persons.

Why does life has to be so complicated? Just do what you feel is right. Don't worry Sniper. You'll still find your place in life. ;)

9. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Ex, Jack Funk is right. There really is no parameter for friendship (IMO) except for the dependability factor. I don't think he was saying that a friend is someone you just "kill time with..."

It's tough to say what a true friend is but called one of mine the other night at around 3am (I had been at a party for a little while longer than I expected) and asked if I could sleep at his house. I knew his parents were gonna kill him but he said yes anyway. While that may not be a car accident, etc., it showed me how much he cared.

[This message has been edited by SlimShogun (edited May 22, 2002).]

10. I have one true friend, we communicate on a level that no one else can understand. Our language is a mix of English, German, French, Budgiatic, Sigillian, and sign language.

Then I have several other friends who I just string along so I can be camp and flambouyant at them, and they'll think I am a Character.

- Signed, an Angry Young Individualist

[This message has been edited by Sir Yerril of Morningmist (edited May 22, 2002).]

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

12. What doyou find wrong with what he just said? It is possible to communicate with someone on another level, I do that with on of my friends, we continously say the same thing at the same time, or finish each others sentences. And no it cant be counted off as knowing him so long, because I have known him only about 6 months. You dont just communicate with some one vocally, there are so many forms of communication, that Im not going to get into it.

Most people have a couple really good friends, and then other friends that they just hang out with for different reasons.

{I would wonder if that is borderline/just over spam. As that post of yours added nothing to the topic at hand}

13. Sniper Gems: 28/31

It will be frowned upon, am i correct Moderators? :)

Anyway, how about this for a kick about idea, but would you belive that there is possibly more than one type of 'true' friend?

14. Forashi Guest

Hmm... normally ppl would say there are three classes of ppl you know:

(True) Friends -need I say more?

Common Friends -the buddies you hang out with

Familiar ppl -you know them from work, school, through hobbies of some sort etc.

I have that 1 true friend as well. Though the other 5-7 I might call friends are very reliable as well. I don't know if I'd trust my life with anyone ('cept for that 1), but I'm completely certain that the other 5-7 ppl won't try to hinder my life in any way behind my back. In fact, should I not know this 1 friend, I'd call all the others my true friends. Our relationships work as it should with any friendship. Where you gain pleasure by spending time with the ppl you like, where you can relax and act as the person you are instead of the public image we all must hide behind. Aside from these 6-8 in all. All the others I count as mere familiar ppl. They are the sort I might actually enjoy spending time with, but I'm wary at all times, since I've had the pleasure of experiencing 1:st hand how lovely ppl can be at times. And with this I'm not referring to some small gossip or anything as civilized and short-term as that.

Last time I had buddies was around 10 years ago.. after that I just haven't bothered. That type of ppl aren't interested in me, neither am I in them. Guess it must be due to my special nature or something.

It's become obvious to me years past that so very many of the grown up folks out there still have that small child inside, preventing them from doing any real creative thinking and comprehending the consequences of their actions. And as they simply can not and will not understand their faults, how can you punish them for that? Just live with it.

In this respect, most of the ppl out there are ok. Many of us just don't fit too well together. :)

[This message has been edited by Forashi (edited May 23, 2002).]

15. Well, yes there are different types of "true" friends. One kind of true friend is someone who's always there to cheer you up when your sad, who's so fun-lovin it's actually hard to be sad around them.
    Another kind of true friend is a more mature kind. They can relate to your problems so well it's almost scary. They've already dealt with it so they can pass it on to you.
    And the other true friend is both those friends combined.
    I have the first 2 kinds, and I love them both for sticking with me yesterday.

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31

But surely if there was to be a 'true' friend with those two abilities, then surely wouldn't that friend be a 'greater' true friend?

note: i'm kicking the idea around trying to apporach the issue from as many angles that i can think of

17. I have 1 true friend who stayes with me through thin and think.I can alwayes tell him/her(no offence but I don't want you to know the gender)anything.:angel:

18. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

True friends. If I exclude my family (mainly my brothers because parents are different), then I have 2. Yet they are completly different people. But I would trust them with my life, as they would trust me with their lives.

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Yeah thats kewl dude.
    But aint it 'thick and thin?'

Anyway back onto topic,
    Do you agree with my theory of true friends?
    Do you think that there are more than one type of true friend?
    Do you think that there are even 'super' true friends?
    Do you oppose my main theory? If so, have you any of your own? Feel free to talk about the TOPIC of true friends.

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited May 31, 2002).]

20. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

Oh, okay. Thank you for pointing that out for me Sniper. In that case, I think a true friend is someone who would never even think of stabing you in the back. A true friend would sacrifice their life for yours. A true friend would defend you when others make fun of you behind your back. A true friend is someone who you can trust with your deepest secrets. A true friend helps you when you're down. That's what I think a true friend is. I think there is only one type of true friend. Others are either great friends, friends or any other rating you want to give them. Don't give anyone the title of being your true friend. It has to be given to someone who goes by what you think a true friend is.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.