1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who is going to buy "The Thousand Orcs"?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

No, I won't be buying the book. I haven't read any of Salvatores stuff. No offense to the man. There is so much out there to read, and so little time to do it.
    I have been reading Joseph Conrad lately (currently reading Heart of Darkness). This should be required reading for all of the Europeans here who constantly bash America.
    Additionally, I have been accumulating and reading the various Nebula and Hugo winning novels from over the years. Some really great stuff.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

From what I can understand, Wulfgar has turned his back on friends and allies more than once. What about it? You said he attacked Catti-brie accidentally because of a dream. Meaning that you can't blame him; it wasn't his fault. Just like most of the protagonists in the book, they're mostly near the point of blameless.

3. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] From your point of view, I'd like to know what you think of Elminster, Shandril, Danilo Thann, Arilyn Moonblade, Cadderly, Queen Amlaruil, The Knights Of Myth Drannor, and hell, any other heroes of Faerun.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

OK, ressurected was the wrong word. Reborn is what I meant to say. And no, not literely born, just to save you saying something about that.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I just got an email from amazon.co.uk

and the thousend orcs has been shipped and I can expect it next week, yay :)

I hope it's gonna be good

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And you didn't buy it from SP, right? :rolleyes:

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31

I'm not a big fan of Forgotten Realms, Xandar. I haven't read a single book concerning those heroes you described. Perhaps they are a bit more rounded off than Drizzt and Co.

And hopefully, my last rant against Salvatore (in this thread, anyways).

First of all, the former (about drow) is clearly not true. Consider Drizzt or Soulafein (from Baldur's Gate II). Secondly, drow elves, and perhaps demons (although we can only speculate) do have thoughts and feelings, even if they are full of hate and rage. But drow do have time to consider their ways; they do have doubts about their culture and lifestyle. As for demons, well, it's not such a great book when the antagonist is pure, unadulterated evil; it just makes the reader take sides.

Yes, I realize the last statement flies in the face of Tolkein and a few other hundred novelists. But at least Tolkein's characters have their own doubts and flaws, even it only applies to the protagonists.

[ October 19, 2002, 00:30: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I am halfway through the book now and I'm loving it, there are some interesting development in it.

Oh and to reply the last post, you were right about the drow although there are only three examples. But you can't be serious about a demon although it might be interesting --> a demon paladin :rolleyes:

Oh and to your last statement, you should really read this book: DOUBTS AND FLAWS ALL OVER THE PLACE

I won't spoil it but it is the truth

To all drizzt haters out there one last thing!

Salvatore can't kill drizzt off, it would be like killing gandalf or james bond or john mcclane.
    If drizzt was killed you would kill the northern part of Faerun.

[ October 29, 2002, 09:34: Message edited by: Apeman ]

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Hey, just because I criticize Salvatore doesn't mean I won't look at it. It does sound pretty interesting, like some of his other books.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I'm sorry if I defended him to strong but he just is my favourite auther. You really should look at this one, I'm almost finished now and it's not then ending you expect, I think

BTW you read the Demon wars saga?

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I do like Salvatore's older FR works, just not his latest ones. As for good drow, there are quite a few of them, its a shame most of them end up with a dagger in their chest. Have you never heard of Eilistraee, the godess of the good drow. And I also hear that moonelves are descendants of good drow changed by Eilistraee.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Did not know that, does a book cover that or something else, if it is a book I would love to read it (Drow are cool good and evil)

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If this thread gets any longer, it will be more time consuning than the book!

Makes me want to go read it, just so I have something more productive to say here!

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well, I haven't actually read the book that covers it but I think its called Tangled Webs. Also, the internet is a brilliant place for information such as that.

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I have the first one of the books, it's called "daughter of the drow"

Loved that book although it's been a while since I read it so I can't remember all of it.

I think I'm gonna order the sequel "tangled webs" one of these days, I never came around to order it before.

16. Medic Mike Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Now hold on a moment, from what I understand Drizzt was one of Bob's AD&D chara. and alot of the books on the sreies were based on games he and his friends played (after all.... Elminster and the Forgoten Realms got their start the same way thanks to Ed Greenwood) I myself have a chara around 20th lvl. ( been a while sice I pulled him out a looked him over) a Minotore Gladeator named Tokor. True he's the big dumb strong man of the group but fun to play with... the point is, he has been through as much as Drizzt, the whole groupe has and no body has been killed yet.....something to think about

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Dark Elf Trilogy is so good that it can compete with all of the best books I've ever read. Icewind Dale I don't like because it has too much conflicts with DET (especially the first part of IWDT). And the rest are just mindless whacking. What happened to Wulfgar didn't shock me one bit, even though I like the character. That pretty much told me on the "feelings" -level how much I cared for Salvatore's later Drizzt novels.

The writer doesn't suck, but the setting of the latter Drizzt books does. Dark Elf Trilogy was a 3-part masterpiece where every single one of the books proved that he knew what he was doing. Only he usually does not write in a style that I would care to read. Besides, there's only so much stuff you can write about the same drow before the drow has to be dumped.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.