1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why is Skyrim so bad?

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim' started by Luj1, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Apparently the Navmesh bug has finally been squashed in patch 1.6 which will bring about a ton of new area mods to the game which means they should be bringing in a bunch of new items as well to fill in those areas along with new secrets to discover and beth is still working on adding things post game such as crossbows, spears if they keep brining things out from the video that they did a while back.

Majority of your issues can be fixed with mods and I honestly cant wait to see what the team behind the Nehrim overhaul mod can do with the new updated engine from skyrim. They are currently in the process of working on Project 5 Which is the Skyrim equivalent of Nehrim: At Fate's Edge

2. Luj1 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

That's why I wanted to hear resident opinions, but I seriously had to laugh hard at the wording here. "Skyrim series"? Gamers these days... :lol:

If Oblivion was a massive let down for you (as it was for many people including myself) you'd be even more dissapointed with Skyrim. In other words, when compared with Skyrim even Oblivion is a better ES game.

Then I can imagine what you'd say about Skyrim :D

Oblivion more so. But they were not as streamlined as Skyrim, especially Morrowind. In Morrowind you need to break a serious sweat to find some locations or finish some quests. In Skyrim everything dies from two hits, as if the quest compass is not enough. Like I said, I'm going around on master mode slaying dragons (yes, ancient dragons) with pickaxes. This game is literally dumbed down to child level, which isn't surprising as its primary target market has been 12yo console owners.

True. However others were playable at launch, unlike Skyrim.

---------- Added 0 hours, 18 minutes and 44 seconds later... ----------

Lol?

Forgive me, it seems I mistook this board for a credible gamer community.

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    maybe you should get over yourself a bit, much of what you say can easily be argued, everything dies with 2 hits? hmm, I just took my character, fresh from Helgen picked up a pick axe from Riverwood and headed to a giants camp, strange how it took a good 10 hits from me before my character took a flying lesson, now if I had taken my godlike lvl30 character with his powerful gear to the same giant I would have swatted it like a fly,a challenge is where you find it.

this is a game, not the defining moment of your life. the big problem today is that people expect to much for their hand full of cash, I paid £30 for skyrim so far I've had 113 hours of enjoyment, when I bought mortal combat 2 for the snes, I paid £60 I may have gotten 10 hours out of it.skyrim definitely has value for money, try lowering your possibly unattainable level of expectation and maybe you can enjoy the game.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    On what planet is Skyrim linear? It's almost too NON-linear for my tastes. I'll set off on a mission, on my way be distracted by some cave, so I'll clear that; then a fort will appear, I'll see what's going on there; then I'll pick up some more quests off randomers.... 4 hours later, I've got full bags, just so many quests I don't even know where to start, and I forgot what quest I originally set out to do in the first place!

Linear, my left testicle.

Shoshino likes this.
  5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Then you're easily amused. It was obvious what I meant - referring to TES series.

Well, yeah, and one of the primary complaints regarding dragons is that they don't scale enough with difficulty. Once you get powerful enough, there really isn't much you can't beat easily. The other thing about the game that is strange is that it seems like melee combat is superior to spell casting, even late game - it's usually the other way around. Melee easier at first, spell casting eventually catching up and surpassing it. Not Skyrim. Mages never catch up.

I don't agree with that. Surely, Bethesda tries to bring in a new audience with each edition, but I imagine that the target marketing group were people that purchased and enjoyed the earlier games of the series, which would pretty much exclude 12-year olds, unless you think the target market for TES IV was 6-year olds.

Well, people make mistakes all the time. For example, we didn't treat you like a troll when you showed up.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    True, you can just screw around as much as you wish. I'd say that usually in TES games it's the quests that are linear. Typically, the only freedom you have in quests in the TES games is whether or not you accept the quest or not, although there are some exceptions.

In the TES series, it's always been like this. Magic is usually very underpowered. In Morrowind it was even worse - magicka didn't regenerate, so you could only use very few spells without running out of magicka and the only way to get it back was by sleeping or chugging potions. The most powerful spells you couldn't even cast without increasing your magicka in some way (for instance by increasing your INT through chugging home made potions).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.