1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wniitrg ploerpry?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Master of Nuhn, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I'm a great speller. If I type something wrong it's usually because I've hit the wrong keys by mistake :)
    At school, I used to check the teachers' spelling on report cards ;)

2. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The schools in Northern Ireland have begun to actively support people with Dyslexia by making the examination process fair. A person with Dyslexia is given extra time to complete the exam and even a scribe to write down the answers if that is the best way to get the exam done in a reasonable amount of time. It is understood that what is in a person's head is more important than how quickly they can write it down.

At University they are also given access to computers with dictation and narration software (it was a big deal when it first appeared) and support from advisors who will work with the dyslexic person to maximise the benefit they gain from their time there.

Or if they so choose they can go out and get drunk like everybody else. ;)

3. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My Mom also has dyslexia. And the special tinted thing with the glasses actually does seem to work in about 90% of the cases (I know this because we tried them for my migraines) In fact in some of the schools around MA they test for dyslexia with the tinting process. See what happens is the coding process of the brain can be having problems because of the light the text is being read in. So take text books, they're very glossy and for some people with dyslexia that makes it infiintely harder to read. So when they put colored sheets of plastic over it, suddenly they can read it fine. Kind of nifty actually. And in the case of my Mom, although she also has the tinted problem, she also has problems telling her right from her left. So she tends to sometimes see the letters backwards. So even though she's been reading for many more years than I have, she takes about 7 times as long to read the same thing. (But I'm a very fast reader as it is)

As for reading the words when they're misspelt so long as the first and last letter are in place -- it's true. That actually is how your brain comes to recognize words but it definitely slows down the reading process when you read the words that way. For instance, that paragraph should have taken me maybe 15 seconds to read but I spent like nearly a minute reading it; yet I still knew what was being said. So even though it's readable, proper writing is much better because if nothing else, it's incredibly faster. :) Fast is good.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hehe. Yea. How nice. Remember that, too. Was a proud young prick, 12, and they were asking me how this and that was written. Then there were synonyms, nicer wording possibilities, interpunction, polite forms...

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] on one of my report cards they spelt my name wrong they put 'Jaqueline' insted of 'Charlotte'

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Oh gosh. I didn't even see this one. I thought it was kinda funny, too.

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

You can read it but not as fast as normal text. Pretty simple since we have deductive minds. It has nothing specific to do with how we comprehend language, much more how the human mind comprehend information from its senses in genereal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.