1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup, Take Two!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yes, i know the feeling. :D However, i kinda expected us to lose against Portugal, it's almost like we are hexed when we play them, and now you're experiencing the same feeling against the same opponent.

I'd like to see a statement from the ref soon why he decided to give Rooney a red card. If it's purely for shoving Ronaldo he doesn't have a clue about emotions in football and is not fit for the job.

2. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ive just seen footage of Ronaldo pushing Rooney before the game and whispering something in his ear and then other footage of him winking at another Portugese player after Rooney was sent off. I saw this on MOTD interactive after the game. Once again Portugal have played poorly and "dirty" as they did against Holland. Im disgusted with Ronaldo but im sure he's going to regret it when he starts back at united. Rooney deserved the red but without Ronaldos interference the ref was probably not even going to book him. Although if Sven was not playing Rooney so isolated he would never have gotten so wound up. Atleast weve got something positive from the game. Our 10 men played heroicly and did not deserve to be beaten by the sly Portugese and Sven is gone.. i just hope Mclaren can use the most basic of footballing knowledge and play our best players in their best positions. Oh and Ronaldo was diving all the first half he's pathetic. I hope Brazil stuff them.

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I agree Barmy, is like Elizondo (Argentinian ;) ) is sending Rooney because of the push and not much for the 'foul'.
    Blatter and Beckenbauer will be very happy, is all the way German & Brasil final...
    Now I understand why Americans don't like football; teams don't need to play good games anymore to win matches, crappy teams with just pure luck winning matches by penalty kicks really sucks.
    England was the best team today, and so other teams which played good games but lose upon a bad call or just luck.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll be supporting Germany now.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would support Holland like i usually do when England are out. I dont mind who wins as long as its not Portugal.

6. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Italy is coming right around the corner :D

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Barmy (and/or anyone else doing it), please refrain from using expletives when referring to any teams or players you don't like for whatever reason. You can explain your opinion of them without having to resort to that.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    I don't think Italy have enough to beat Germany. O reckon Germany will win that one within in the 90 minutes.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Again, will Henry ever be onside?

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

****, France won. :(

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

No more Samba, thank goodness for that. I was getting fed up with having to watch people dressed in yellow celebrating all the time. Brazil played very poor right from game 1, they never convinced me of being serious title candidates, and i was right.

It's a Euro only tournament now.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Seriously, after the group stages and the round of sixteen, the WC IS practically the EC, with one or two South-Americans team.

Like in '94. Seven out of eight teams are Europeans.

Or in '98. Six out of eight.

2002? Six out of eight.

How about this year? Six out of eight.

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, France winning was unexpected. Quite ironic victory, actually.

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Allez les bleus!! Well done to France, they outplayed Brazil completely. Zidane was excellent and had great support from Vieira, Ribery and Henry. Makelele, Gallas and co. were too solid for the disorganised Brazil attack... Barthez looked a bit shaky though, could be a problem against Portugal.

Ah Portugal... A strange game they played against England. Quite ironic really, the best game the English played and they lost. Hat off to Hargreaves, he had an amazing game, must have run for miles and miles. And you can tell he plays in Germany, he actually scored his penalty...

Lampard was atrociously bad for the whole tournament, but really outdid himself today. He was easily the worst player on the pitch.

Rooney... what to say. I agree with Barmy that Ronaldo's behaviour was questionable especially considering he plays with Rooney. (I Excpect to see ManU getting rid of CR soon) That said, Rooney needs to learn to control himself. The red was harsh, but Rooney did seem to be begging for it. I see all great players lose their cool occasionally, but Rooney does so with alarming regularity.

And yet... for all that, the contrary England played much BETTER once they were down to 10 men and really showed some passion for the first time in this world cup. I was very impressed with Aaron Lennon, he will be a big future hope for England...

[ July 01, 2006, 23:39: Message edited by: Vukodlak ]

15. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Allez les bleus!! :banana:

Seriously, Brasil need to learn some humility; they did nothing the whole championship, finally, a team who does nothing loses the game.

I really hope France win the world cup.

16. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    YEAH France won!
    Hum... could the final be Germany v. France?

I hope so because the Portuguese neighbours are still celebrating and probably will keep doing that the whole night

can't :sleep:

17. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Let's see Barmy, one never know with Italy. But then again you're the Guru! I'll give you a good homebrew if Germany beats Italy ;)

18. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Germany has never beaten Italy in a worldcup fixture, and it won't happen this time either. In a typical Italian fashion, the game will end in a 1-0 victory for the Squadra Azzura.

Before the WC started i predicted Italy to win it all, not because they have the best players, or the strongest team, but because they are very hard to beat, and they can rise to the occasion like noone else can.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK, now that we are in the knock out rounds, all the worst aspects of soccer are coming out. Even more dives, more defensive play, and the ever-present penalty kickoffs.

England should be gutted. These guys get paid millions of dollars and they can't even score from the penalty spot. Not scoring a penalty should be almost unforgivable. C Ronaldo was the only guy who actually made a decent shot at goal.

England without Rooney and Owen will almost never score goals. Their defence is great, but Crouch is just another very average striker, just as bad as the likes of Daruis Vassell and Emile Heskey. The number of times that guys just seems to stumble around his own feet (like that great opportunity that Gerard created for him). On the other hand, that Lennon guy looks great - maybe he should have played a bit more.

Portugal as well never looked like scoring. C Ronaldo was the only guy who looked like sparking anything. France should be far too good for them.

France v Germany final.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    Try it, in that situation. Regardless of how much they get paid, the lads aren't robots you know.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.