1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup, Take Two!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It doesn't matter whether I try it or not. I'm not one of the world's best soccer players. These guys should never miss penalties as often as they do. I'm amazed you have such low expectations of your players. It's one thing to get beaten by another team, but it's another to miss a virtual open shot at a huge goal from such close range. The goalkeeper should have no chance in that situation.

2. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It isnt just taking a penalty though, they have the weight of a countrys hopes on their shoulders, nothing is easy under that much pressure and also you have to remember this team lost to Portugal on penalties 2 years ago making the situation even more diffcult. Anybody who take a penalty in a shootout no matter how poor the penalty has to have guts. Nobody can blame someone for missing a penalty under those circumstances. And Crouch played very well he could have snatched a late goal a few times and did a fantastic job as a lone striker with hardly any support. Oh and ive never heard of a penalty 'kick off'. :p

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You must have been watching a different tall skinny bloke to me. He was hopeless. Hargreaves, Lennon, Terry, Gerard, and Ferdinand played well. The defence was very well organised. Portugal would never have scored, even if they'd had another hour of attack.

Sorry, I still disagree. These are not only the best soccer players in the world, they are the ones specifically chosen to take the penalties. They have trained and trained for this (or should have). Missing a penalty kick should be a very rare event. In knock out games, you that there is a pretty high chance it will come to penalties. They have trained and trained for this (or should have). Missing a penalty kick should be a very rare event.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Or, perhaps, you're wrong? He did a fantastic job up front on his own for the last 30 mins. Picked the ball up, held onto it and linked it. Very, ver good.

It isn't just 'a penalty'. It's an extremely high tensity situation and takes SERIOUS bottle to keep your head. Englad playerd don't seem to have that bottle and never have done...

5. Harbourboy

That's what I was trying to get at.

He did a reasonable job of using up time up front, which I assume was the tactic once Rooney went off. But he never looked like scoring and muffed the few opprtunities he got, which is similar to how he looked in the previous games as well. He was one of the least dynamic players on the field.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    He wasn't really there to look like scoring. He was there as a target, so when the defenders won the ball back, they had somebody to just boot the ball up to who will be able to get it under control or just stick a head on it.

7. Duffin Gems: 13/31

And to be fair Ricardo is one jammy little ******* when it comes to saving penalties, Gerrard's and Lampard's were still fairly poor penalties but the chances are the keeper will dive the wrong way occasionally, like Robinson did. Unfortunately for us Ricardo seems to have a sixth sense when guessing which way to dive. Crouch played very well and on another day could have won us the match, he was much better than Rooney in that position and he hasnt received any flak for his performance (apart from the nut crunching), i think Crouch is just an easy target for criticism being a lanky dancer and all.

8. Harbourboy

Anyway, that game is done now, and neither Portugal nor England really looked like they could have won the Cup based on their performances to date.

Looking ahead, a big question is now whether France are peaking at the right time, given how slowly they started a few weeks ago, compared to how well they controlled Brazil this morning.

9. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Well they practically have a free run to the final so long as the Portugese play fairly but thats hardly likely.

10. Harbourboy

Surely Portugal don't have anything left. France should be far too good for them. Unless France have another of their up and down days.

11. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Yeh France can be a bit unpredictable, their like Barthez, you never know which one will turn up. I dont know about the semi final you would expect France to cruise it but Portugal can make it difficult but so long as France dont suffer any disasters i.e having Sven drafted in as an emergency coach, they should be able to get through comfortably.

12. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

is this his last game? this might be his last game. everytime we say that, boom, his team advance, both zidane and figo.

13. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Although, they did say the same for Pavel Nedved, and look how that went. :)

14. teekc Gems: 23/31

but the two play together.

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yes, but for neither of them, it will be the last game, no matter how it end up, except if any of them get injured or get a red card. Why? There's the final, and there's the bronze game. :p

16. Harbourboy

Zidane probably had his best game of the tournament this morning. He looked like a quality player today.

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Both Lampard and Gerrard's penalties were below par. Some soccer nut/statistician has claimed that for a 6'4" 'keeper 28% of the goal is unprotectable in a penalty situation. We saw that with Hargreaves' penalty where Ricardo got to the ball but could not save. Also what ever the hell was Carriger doing taking a kick anyway? I thought it would be Lampard, Gerrard, Crouch, Hargreaves and then Cole. I still don't understand why Joe Cole was taken off by Swen.

And France won :wail: My cousin is gonna give me grief for the forseeable future now.

18. teekc Gems: 23/31

this is euro 2000 replay. zidane on figo, figo on zidane. Nothing beats two geezers fencing with walking sticks, nothing.

19. Harbourboy

Thank you, Shrikant, for backing me up on the whole penalty thing.

20. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yes, he was quite the difference in that game

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.