1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup, Take Two!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well it must be, given how few goals you see in knockout soccer games

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

What I would really like to know is what language the players use when communicating with the referee..especially when they are being very emphatic after being yellow card-ed...

And yes, I know, football tends to reach these stages during the semi finals because no team wants to take stupid chances and get knocked out but still...this was almost as bad as the Ukraine vs Switzerland game.

And I also thought that Germany vs. Italy was good...but since the good part was only the latter part of the second half and the extra time really...I dunno. Plus I was rooting for Germany so yeah... :D

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Mostly in English, unless the players play in the league of the country the ref is from. You never know if it helps to suck up to the ref in his native tongue. :D

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

football universal language

put your fingers together, bent them downwards a bit, you hands with motion of up and down = diving!
    (i really try to describe this in words)

just raising your hand up = offside

shaking your index finger = hell no! it's not a foul

both hands together, palm to palm, shaking them together up and down = please don't give me a card

hold your leg in agony and roll on the field, enhance with verbal effect if you want = give whoever did whatever to me a card

both hands on head = so close

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I went to bed after Zizou scored. Looks like I didn't miss anything. I dread the finals now. How many wanna bet that the Germany - Portugal game will see more goals than Italy - France.

6. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

You're probably right, but then a good match can be without goals.

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

:lol:
    Here, that's called "the kangaroo move"; Raymond Doménech was shown doing the kangaroo move lots of times and once, he did the "directors cut" move, like he was filming with those old cameras, pointing that some dives deserved an Oscar...

I don't think Portugal has more 'better' players than France; the game of football isn't just about single good players anymore; take a look at Brasil, with all those stars, they didn't played like a team, they did nothing; whenever they play as a team, they played the famous jogo bonito; Portugal did some nice plays when they played as team but then C.Ronaldo, Deco, Figo, started to play like they wanted to do all by themselves trying to be the heroes. Teams develop good defenses and France has one of the best.

So now France are lucky cheaters? :lol:
    I wonder what Italian and Portugueses are... but of course, so much love sometimes makes you blind to some facts, like the fact that Italians and Portugueses spend most of the time diving and crying for things never happened.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm giving the 3rd place to Germany and 1st place to Italy as things stand right now.

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I agree with the Portugese, but the Italians are getting WAAAY too much ****ing **** for diving. A friend of mine posted a good post about it on another forum, and I'm gonna quote it, because I'm tired of ****ing repeating myself.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Question for the Spanish speaking folks here. What are the Argentinian fans chanting here and what does it mean in English ?

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can remember more teams that won thanks to a penalty that they shouldn't have had, whether they played better that their opponent or not...
    Hint... Hint... ;)
    (Just nagging and kidding you)

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    To be fair, the Henry one was a penalty. Sure, he made the most of it and leaped like a salmon, but at the end of the day Carvalho caught his trailing leg after the ball had gone.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I couldn't say, sorry to say. I didn't watch the match... I'm just here to make some fun of people's quotes, hopefully with no offence.

I do agree with that. If I was on that field, I could not even properly accept a ball that one of these guys pass to me.

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@Pacman:
    "Ole ole ole, ole ole ola, ole ole ole, cada dia te quiero mas, sooooooooy de Argentina, un sentimiento que no puedo parar... ole ole... repeat"

In English:
    "Ole ole ole, ole ole ola, ole ole ole, everyday I love you more, I'm from Argentina, a feeling that I can't stop... repeat"

Best crowd ever.

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Yeah, that clip was filmed hours before the kickoff against S&M, they were singing continuously. Thanks for the translation. :)

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I can't wait to get bored out of my skull yet AGAIN on saturday...before the dazzling borefest that is to be the final.

Bah, I can honestly say I am not interested in this World Cup anymore...I won't care WHO wins apart from a purely academic interest, having seen it through till the semi final stages...

17. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Then stop watch it, and if goals is the only thing for you watch basket ball instead.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Its not goals...its overly defensive play which doesn't make for very good viewing...

19. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

@ Faraaz: But, but... the Germany-Italy game was very offensive. Indeed it was probably the best game of this world cup. Just because both teams are good at defending doesn't mean they're playing defesively...

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Italy wanted to avoid the penalty shootout, the Germans have an aura of invincibilty over them when it comes to that. But to me it was all the more prove that Italy, if they really want to, can play excellent offensive football. If they'd play like this all the time, they would be much more respected all around. Technically, they are superior to most other teams, so why not take advantage of that ?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.