1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup, Take Two!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Rutty mate, they will be focused on trying to beat us, not worrying about the next game. Their entire focus will be on Saturday and Saturday only.

Enagonios, it was more like 200 in total arrested in a 'fight' between Germany and English fans. You've got to expect that though. Hell, I've seen more arrests than that watching Chesterfield! All the hooliganism is blown up by sensationlist media who need to fill their pages with something. There's been hardly any trouble, and by and large the Germans have loved the English fans. Indeed, they've been talked of as being the best fans there.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

1-0 to Italy, penalty with ten seconds left of overtime.

While the penalty was uncalled for, so was the red card. They didn't win the best way, but they won, and they are onwards.

And once again, horrible referee.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ah point taken Barmy, my apologies.

And Italy's in!

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think the red card was justified. The guy (don't remember the name) slided in with both legs leading. That's no tackling, that's assault.

The penalty was a joke, though.

5. Register Gems: 29/31

That was a yellow card situation, not even CLOSE to a red card for Materazzi.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Australia vs. Italy...What a FARCE! Gah...that call 5 seconds before the final whistle was :bs: ! :grr: :grr:

The Aussies played like champions and they definitely deserved to go through...all the referees in the World Cup are incompetent. The Portugal vs. Netherlands match was a joke as well. I hate it when stupid refs bungle up what should be the greatest football matches!! :flaming:

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
  8. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That was unfair, why Italy has that luck?!
    I bet that they won't have that luck against Ukraine or Switzerland.
    With Aussies performance being so good, I heard that now they want to host a World Cup.

@Morgoth: that was brilliant :lol:
    They could be Italian as well...

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh, the Australians are GUTTED. Soccer is now going to be huge in Australia after this. Which means they will probably continue to be a growing force, but is bad news for NZ because it's effectively impossible for both Australia and NZ to ever qualify together because one of them pretty much has to knock the other one out, even if they were both good.

Oh well, go Switzerland!

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

so some really strong teams have gone home, and we have to watch this Switzerland-Ukraine game? :doh:

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You know who I really feel for?? Ghana...they've played some excellent games for a team with their background...and going up against Brazil??!?! :eek:

I hope we see a Brazil vs Germany final!! :D Repeat the last world cup final...except this time it'll be IN Germany.

I wish I had tickets for the WC... :(

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Talk about boring! :yawn:

Shots near goal for both Swiss & Ukraine must be under 5. And the refreeing! After the disaster that was Portugal/Holland, FIFA seems to have ensured that no cards are shown. Players are being carried off the field but still not card. :bs:

13. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Switzerland has managed something weird, they haven't conceded a single goal but they are out of the tournament.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What a shocker. How do you miss so many penalties?

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What a **** game, it's a shame tha either side had to win that. Booooring.

16. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

swi should have taken advantage on that shevchenko's miss. they should have.

italy-australia match reminds me of world cup '90. There was this Egyptian player, tripped outside the box, ran 2 more steps, fell inside the box, penalty! This you never learn from textbook.

17. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Let's sit back and take a look at the biggest shockers in this tournament! Which teams did not live up to what their FIFA ranking led us to expect?

Group stage surprises:
    These teams should have advanced but didn't!
    - Costa Rica (ranked 2nd in their group)
    - Czech Republic (ranked 1st in their group)
    - USA (ranked 2nd in their group)
    - Japan (ranked 2nd in their group)
    - Korea (ranked 2nd in their group)
    - Tunisia (ranked 2nd in their group)

Stage 2 upsets:
    - Mexico (ranked 4th) lost to Argentina (ranked 9th)
    - Sweden (ranked 16th) lost to Germany (ranked 19th)
    - Netherlands (ranked 3rd) lost to Portugal (ranked 7th)
    - Switzerland (ranked 35th) lost to Ukraine (ranked 45th)

Every sane person (by FIFA ranking standards...) would have predicted a Sweden win over Germany and a Mexico win over Argentina. Right?
    :outta:

18. Harbourboy

Hmm, who do I support NOW? Maybe Portugal. Go Cristiano Ronaldo (if you're fit).

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess I'll support Ghana for now.

20. Register Gems: 29/31

Actually, the Australians will leave the Oceania WC Qualifications and qualify with Asia, starting July the 1st, in order to not have only half a chance to get to the cup. It's good for three things.

1. New Zeeland might actually get a chance. :p

2. The worst team in the World, Saudi-Arabia, probably won't be able to get to the cup anytime soon.

3. Australia will be able to play in the WC more often, and also in the Asian Cup.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.