1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup, Take Two!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jun 25, 2006.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Asia cup 2007 will be held in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia. i am so going home next summer.

2. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There's a pall over Melbourne right now. Well, except over Lygon Street... and I can imagine how hard a time I would have had getting to work today if we'd beaten Italy.

It was tough to lose like that, considering that (with the exception of Toni) it's hard to argue that Italy was the better side on the day. The red card was possibly a bit harsh, but seemed so premeditated that I think it was deserved. I don't think too many people would agree with the penalty that Grosso "earned" (although I'd have laughed if he'd been given a second yellow for diving). And I daresay that there would have been no way for Italy to respond if Schwarzer had saved the penalty - the psychological blow would have been tremendous, and we had fresh forwards to throw at the Italian defenders.

Still, we had our chances, and Lippi pulling Toni from the field when Italy was down to 10 men speaks of a team that has earned respect in Germany. Italy's got a great defence, and I'm not sure Hiddink really capitalised on the player advantage to force the Italians onto the back foot.

But it's over for us, now, and good luck to Italy, but I hope they get the tar beaten out of them.

EDIT: Have to agree with HB - nothing spurs the Aussie sporting mind like a desire for revenge. Even though we lost, I don't think anyone can argue that we were "beaten". We just got slicked. It happens. We'll just come back hungrier again and again until we get to settle the ledger.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Although it is nice to see Australia lose at the last minute for once. Usually it's the other way around *cough* stupid John Eales *cough*.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Yeah, I'm fully in agreement with NonSequitur...

And to think football was the only sport left where Australia doesn't dominate the world!! :p Yes, I know, I'm exaggerating but still!!

Cricket, Swimming and half the other Olympics events, Rugby, the weird footy they play with that round ball in the UK and everything else...that with a country where the total population is less than that of one CITY in India...(Mumbai)...pretty darn impressive! :D

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Rutkowski:
    A sliding tackle with both legs is IIRC always a red card. Even if the tackling player does not hit his target.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Can't wait for the France v Spain later. Bon Voyage boys, you're going home ;)

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

And besides, it's Materazzi we're talking about here, he should always get a red card for being such an ugly prick. :D

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

A sliding tackle with both legs IN THE AIR WITH TARGET BEING THE PLAYER is IIRC always a red card. If they get the ball away its all OK. If one foot is sliding across the ground it is a legitimate tackle. That was a Yellow.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Brazil vs. Ghana 3-0 ... it was pretty easy to see coming. But atleast now we can look forward to a KILLER quarterfinal match between Brazil and either France or Spain (IIRC) and what a match THAT is going to be!! :D :D :D

10. Shrikant

Yeah SPAIN! With the kind of infighting and stupid coach that France have, I don't see them going any further. Just hope this too isn't a 1-0 match.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I hope its a 10-10 match which goes to the penalties! :D That Ukraine vs Switzerland game was such a snooze. I need some massive goal-scoring games. :D

12. Shrikant

How many 30+ geezers does France have on its team anyway?
    And will Henry ever be Onside?

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Spain 1-0 now. Hope that scoreline stays because that will be another 5 points for me in the office World Cup pool. Go the Spanish defence!

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Henry will be onside for once and he will score, just like they did. That defensive line is in the past, it doesn't work anymore, ask Ghana...

[ June 27, 2006, 23:28: Message edited by: Sydax ]

15. Harbourboy

Oh no 2-1 to France. No points for me now.

16. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The old geezers can still dance. As for Spain, the same old story, they have proven for once more that they are natural born losers.

17. Sydax Gems: 19/31

I agree; they did nothing the whole game, the only good game they played was the 4-0 to Ukraine and that's all, that's not enough to beat an experimented team like France, maybe they are old but they are not just a bunch of young arrogants (the press, the players, everyone spent the last week planning the game against Brasil already, saying that France is an old team who won't be problem to beat, JAJA!).
    There's a lesson of humility they have to learn.
    Great goal by Zizou, that should shut the press up here.

[ June 28, 2006, 12:45: Message edited by: Sydax ]

18. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

today never existed in history.

19. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I'm so depressed... Although Zidane's goal was amazing.

Ah, well. I still have many more World Cups ahead to see Spain reach (at least) quarter finals. :p

20. Harbourboy

Yeah, silly Spain flattered to deceive once again. Will England do the same?

Actually, for all the upsets and surprises, it looks like we are going to end up with the same old boring half dozen teams making it through to the end that we always do (Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy, France etc).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.