1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup, Take Two!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Register, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My my my... Every team that I support seems to be doomed to go home.
    After the Dutch, I supported the Socceroos. After Australia, I decided to beat my drums for Ghana and when they had to leave, I blew my horn for Spain.
    So make your requests: If you want a team out of this cup, let me know and I'll support them...

2. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

make BA happy and support Ingerlund then :D

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think Germany will win now.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Nobody hope or think that Italy will win, except poor little me. :(

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The story will goes like this

Quater Final

Germany - Argentina
    Germany dominates the whole game. Their organized passing lets them control the ball most of the time. Argentina, again, doesn't let Aimar to start the game. Such crime cannot be forgiven. Their coach will be prosecuted as war criminal. Ayala is too short for Klose. The latter made two goals.

England - Portugal
    Big stunner! Deco absent. Christiano injured. Who wil be the Portugese's hero? Chelsea's defenders of Portgual team knew every tricks the English players. Eriksson insisted using Gerrard as defensive midfiled and Lampard as attacking as well as benched Carragher proved to be big mistakes. Without the cool Carragher guarding Postiga, he scored an early goal. Without Gerrard's "never dying coming back spirit", the English cannot recover from their early lost and eventually lost the game.

Italy - Ukraine
    Italy is pretty passive early in the first half. Ukraine players have to run up and down to collect and regain control because of Italy's long ball passing. Near the end of first half, the whole Italian team is doing nothing but soaking up Ukraine's waves of attack. Then suddenly, Cannavaro long ball to Totti, Totti runs down the flank, Ukraine players retreating, big switch to Toni at the other side, long range cannon, goooooooooooal! Italy plays their traditional 10-0-0 in the second half. Ukraine keeps on pounding. Totti, toni were switched out. Injury time, Shevchenko scored, don't know how, don't care how, he just scored. The match went on to penalty. Ukraine advance.

Brazil - France
    We beat them before, we beat them again, without Djorkaeff, Petit, Deschamps, Blanc and every other guy. Zidane scores two goals from two headers from two coners from seperated halves. (sounds familiar?)

Semi Final

Germany - Ukraine
    This is it, the all out attack, fast pace, end to end football. This will be remembered as the most rememberable world cup matches. Klose scored. Shev scored. Klose scored. Shev scored. Klose scored. Shev scored. The game eventually reached penalty. And once again, Ukraine emerged as victor.

Portugal - France
    i am tired. So let's just give portugal win this one.

World Cup 2006 Final.

Ukraine - Portugal
    No matter what happens, we will have a new winner :banana: . Both played defensively. Match goes to penalty. Ukraine wins again.

Ukraine is the new winner of World Cup. (and the first one to do it so with penalty exclusively)

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Interesting story. It all makes sense, except the parts about Ukraine winning - although it is not that far out to think a team could win the whole finals series on penalties given how hard it is to actually score a goal in soccer if the other team really doesn't want you to.

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

One minor detail that you have forgotten. Germans never lose when it comes to penalties and Barmy can confirm this :D .

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

If Brazil played the way they did against Ghana, with a non-existant defence, I fear for them. THen again they were probably looking at that match as 90 minutes of practice.

And I agree, England without Gerrard are doomed. Hope Ericsson realises that.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I really want to see that Brazil vs. France match. I doubt Brazil are in any shape defensively to take on Henry and Zidane, but then again...Ronaldo et. al are brilliant on offense...

This is all up in the air at the moment I guess...I don't care as long as Italy loses...I hate that team.

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Italy is there beacuse a gift, and Canavaro feels offended when press say that they were lucky to win Australia, I think that Ukraine has better chances of score than Australia had, so this time the "10-0-0" won't work.
    Brasil may have good scoring players, but lately they aren't playing as a team, no jogo bonito, is all about individual plays and that won't always work, at least with a good defensive game like France has, and besides, Brasil isn't that good on defense.
    Germany may have good scoring players, so Argentina, and that should be enough to see a good game. Vamo' vamo' Argentina!... :banana:

11. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    All the bad teams are left, but Germany wins hopefully :D .

@Rutkowski
    I :mad: hate :mad: Italy for winning Australia, that was my favorite team

12. Register Gems: 29/31

My predictions:

Germany - Argentina
    Close game, but Argentina has to back up due to the home advantage of the Germans, who win with a good 2-0, due to Argentina's defence and keeper isn't really that good.

England - Portugal
    Portugal is reduced, greatly, and has to play very carefully due to all the bookings. This gives Rooney his playtime he need, and scores a 1-0, which is the only goal in the game.

Italy - Ukraine
    Italy push on the first thirty and scores 2-0, and then backs up. Ukraine may be able to score one goal, but not two, and Italy advances.

Brazil - France
    Brazil win with 3-2. No good defence, but they did score more goals due to excellent offence and goes through.

Semi Final
    Germany - Italy
    Germany has the home advantage, so it's really gonna be hard for Italy. Note though; when Italy comes to semi finals, they rarely loose, and neither this time. 2-1 to Italy after overtime, possibly penalties and that's where Germany wins, probably.

England - Brazil
    England has played good, but this is Brazil we're talking about, who will continiously make the Englishmen run for easy balls to pick up. 1-0 in the final minutes for Brazil, and one of the English players make a mistake and becomes responsible, and therefore the whole country starts to hate him. Could be anyone, it doesn't matter. The referee will also be blamed, no matter if he did any vital mistakes or not.

Game of Third Place:
    Germany defeats England due to just being a better team. 3-1, and Germany gets a bronce. Not gold, but Klinsmann, Bierhoff, and Köpke are still celebrated back home, and the cup is remembered as a good one for Germany, if not one of the best.

World Cup 2006 Final.
    Italy against Brazil. 1994 all over again. Once again, the game is predicted to be an all-out shooting contest, just in '94, but it ends up a boring no-chance contest, just in '94. Goes to overtime, and there Italy manage to get a penalty or dangerous free kick, which Totti places in the net without too much problem. Gold to Italy.

[ June 30, 2006, 17:52: Message edited by: Rutkowski ]

13. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Germany v Argentine 1-1 normal time and after extra time, Germany lose first penalty shootout.

Italy v Ukraine 2-0 comfortable win.

England v Portugal 1-0 tight game, England still play rubbish but Portugal miss Deco and costinha too much.

Brazil v France 2-0 France keep missing all the chances they make

Semi-Finals
    Argentine v Italy 1-0 Italy finally are tested and found wanting.

Brazil v England 1-2 England finally get it right

Final
    Argentine v England 1-2 Finished off in style by England

It is a dream I have...

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Germany v Argentina

Germany to nick this close affair with 2 relatively late goals from Klose and Podolski. Lots of attacking from both teams, Argentina have many good chances but just can't find the net. 2-0 Germany.

England v Portugal

England score an early goal through Rooney to settle the nerves. They then try to sit on the 1-0 for the rest of the match, and aim for the counter attack. It works once, England lead 2-0. Portugal then go all out, and nick a later one. The last 5 minutes are all Portugal as they lay siege to the England goal, but Terry and co. keep them out. 2-1 England.

Italy v Ukraine

Routine win for Italy as they progress. Stick Nesta on Sheva with Cannavaro offering him cover and doubling up on him when necessary. The jobs's half done then. 2-0 Italy, Totti penalty and one from Toni late on.

Brazil v France

Brazil have most of the possesion and control most of the play against early cautious French team. Adriano gets a red card for trying to cheat 2 penalties. Somebody nicks in just before to final whistle and France take it. 1-0 France.

Semi Finals

England v France

A really tight affair as neither team likes to commit many men forward. 0-0 at half time and it's really tense. The 2nd half starts in the same fasion but both teams start top make more forward forays as they realise the game is there for the taking. England score a perfectly good goal for Gerrard as he smashes one in from 30 yards. 10 minutes from the end. Henry cheats a penalty after not being touched and becomes public enemy number one in England. 1-1 at full time. Both halfs of extra time are dull affairs as no team wants to concede a goal. The game goes to penalties. Crouch misses the final one for England and we crash out. 6-5 France after penalties. (Either that or we take them to the cleaners and win 3-0 with goals from Joey Cole, Franky Lampard and Becks. I'm hoping for this scenario).

Italy v Germany

Italy steal this narrow affair away from Germany in a game of not many good chances. The Italian defence musters and manages to keep Germany out, after they have most of the possesion. Inzaghi comes on as sub and scores a goal in the final few minutes as one of the German centre backs drops a bollock and lets him in. 1-0 Italy.

Final
    Italy v France

Italy win after a game with plenty of goals. 3-2 after 90 mins, Italy take the cup after never really managing to play that well and the world slams their defensive style.

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Sorry to burst your little bubble, but Germans DO lose occasionally when it comes to penalties. Does the name Panenka ring any bells ?

16. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Just one defeat since 1950 (I can't remember any other German defeat in penalties) and that one had happened 30 years ago, rather qualifies as almost never than occasionally.

17. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

:love:

18. Register Gems: 29/31

Well, duh!

19. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Im missing the football already.. what am i going to do when the WC is over!? Roll on friday! :rolling:

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

You mean when the WC is over and England won it ? You'll probably be boozing in the pub, celebrating your English ass off. So what's your problem ? :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.