1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ye Olde Randome Babble Thread - 112

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
  2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah...as you found out first hand! :lol:

I'm going to delete her later this week...after she's had time to read all the awesome things you guys have written. :thumb:

In other news, I'm hungry. I woke up at 8am today, and didn't eat breakfast this morning. Now that it's almost 3pm, I'm so hungry that I don't want to move. :bad:
    I need a woman to bring me a sammich! :p

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Kev has been trying THAT line all week :shake:

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hang in there man. I know that can't be easy.

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Kit, if she starts again then let me get drunk and make comments!

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Cheer up Kit, there is a silver lining, the ex is out of your life for good. :thumb:

ION I've learned today that the Polish word for dragon is "smok" now how cool is that? :D

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Smoke Dragon FTW! Fog breath is awesome.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Gah. I want to get drunk, but I gotta work tomorrow ... :mad: [​IMG]

9. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know the book 'The Hungry Caterpillar' off by heart. Ashley wants it reading to him about 3 times an hour at the moment :lol:

He was sat on the sofa sulking because I told him I wasn't going to read it again because he was being naughty. Next thing I know, he has the book on his knee, looking at the pictures and saying 'Eated one slice lami, eated 1 choc choc cake, eated 1 lolp, eated cher pea' it was so cute! Bless him

Caradhras likes this.
  10. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG]
    That is really cute and it's a very good thing to get him interested in books at an early age. :)

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Alright folks, she cracked... I'll spare you all the details since this is not the RRT. But after a lot of crying on her part, and a lot of yelling and cursing on my part...we struck a truce. As part of the truce, I get my face to face "sincere" apology tomorrow. So no more naughty FB posts from the lot of you. :bad:

Wait....awwww s**t! I should have negotiated some MUG material as part of the truce. Kitrax is lonely. :aww:

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Woo! Sonisphere was in town yesterday and the day before, and I managed to go to most of the concerts. It was great, the supporting bands were great (with one note - who the heck gave freaking MANOWAR so little time - in Sofia, no less? They could go for days with the fans they have here), and both days' headliners pretty much wasted everyone.

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Just had to downgrade Firefox because it wouldn't connect to the internet. Blech, will have to see if it's reported, all my firewall settings are fine and so are my profiles so no idea why it went stupid on me.

14. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The Danish word is "Drage", which can also mean a kite. For example, this thing:

[​IMG]

would be called "En lyserød drage" (A pink dra...I mean, KITE!).

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Here it's "zmey"... although actually the zmey is sometimes shown as a somewhat different creature from the dragon, a human with wings from under his arms (sometimes - for example the "traditional" dragon from the icon of St. George is called zmey). There's also the lamya, which can be considered something close.

"Smok" is a word in Bulgarian as well, but here it is the word for a type of large non-poisonous snake that is relatively common here. Most snakes of the Colubridae family are called some kind of smok - shooter smok, thin smok, smok mouser, banded smok, etc

16. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] If Kev keeps leaving opened drinks alongside my EHDD and the wires we're going to have problems :flaming: I've lost track of the number I've times I've even ASKED him now. He's already lost one of his own laptops by spilling drink on it :mad:

17. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    In french, the word for dragon is... dragon... :bad:

18. Caradhras

Media:
    Interesting guys, zmey in Bulgarian and Drage in Danish. Thanks for all the dragon-related information. :)

Yes, but it's not pronounced in the same way. The English pronunciation is closer to the word "dragonne" which refers to a sword-knot in French.

The fact that we use the same word in English and French makes sense:

That's from the Merriam-Webster's online dictionary btw.

After all Norman French (or Anglo-Norman) was the language spoken by Norman nobility at the time of William the Conqueror.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Old English word for dragon was "draca" which is not that different from modern words for dragon in Germanic languages (it's Drachen in German and draak in Dutch if the information I've found is correct -although the actual pronunciation of the German word Drachen is quite different).

The word "dragoon" is clearly of French origin -based on the word dragon and dating back to the 17th century. Interestingly enough, in French we use the same spelling and the same pronunciation for a dragon and a dragoon.

That being said, the word "smok" is incredibly cool, it's probably not related (as the name Smaug is derived from the Germanic verb "smugen" meaning "to squeeze through a hole") but it makes me think of Smaug the dragon in the Hobbit. ;)

19. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Don't start falling for that routine now ... if she genuinely wanted to apologize, you wouldn't have had to negotiate for it. And the tears are usually just for show. (Or she may be crying for real ... in sympathy for herself.) :skeptic:

20. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Rather similar to what Shaman posted,

Dragon is "zmaj" (zmay) here, although there are also terms "ala" and "aždaja" (azydaya... sort of.) Aždaja usually has several heads though.

Human with wings under his arms here is zduhač (zduhach) or "zmajeviti, viloviti čovek" (dragon-like man). They lead the hail clouds and stuff.

Smuk here is a type of snake, not poisonous (Zamenis longissima or Elaphe longissima, Colubridae).
    Also known as belica/bjelica (white one) and Aesculap's serpent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.