1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favorite fantasy movie?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by AlexGK, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

2. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Dungeons and Dragons looked as a kids film for me as it pretends to be serious D&D film.
    There are truly some people thet think LotR sucks for some reason.... Only thing that I did not like in it was the stupid Saruman-Gandalf fight. :(

3. nior Gems: 24/31

In no particular order:
    LOTR - FOTR
    Lady Hawk
    Shrek

and an early 80's movie called "Hawk the Slayer", starring Jack Palance. It's probably the first movie with an elven archer that I have seen. And believe me, Legolas wasn't half as fast as that guy.

[ December 06, 2002, 05:03: Message edited by: nior ]

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Merlin?

The one with Sam Neil?

I thought it was excellent. But to each his own.

*Obviously* LotR is excellent. Labrynith is a good one, but (sigh) you get older, you realize that poor girl has very nice breasts, and it just takes away from the muppets performance.

Willow was fantasy. I'm not really sure Princess Bride qualifies, but I guess it's on the ragged edge. Krull rocked.

Tron, I think, would fit in there too.

Overall, I'm going to have to go with LotR. Since it showed up in the 30's and 40's, it lent some stuff to all the others. That is NOT to say those others are not any good compared to LotR; that's just to say Tolkien was first in line. :)

Labrynith is awesome if you have kids; Henson walked supreme, and his right hand man was Mel Blanc, in the land of Children.

Henson Owned Hook.

5. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Dark Crystal was pretty cool. A muppet-filled fantasy world doesn't seem so stupid after you see it.

...I wish I were a muppet.

6. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] There's so many classics out there to choose from many of which have been mentioned. Fair enough theres a lot of duds too (lets not mention certain sequals). Overall, and I'll get lynched for this, LOTR; FOTR didn't rate as high as others IMO when I actually thought about it.(Beastmaster sequals, it's those ones) Excalibur, Krull, Labyrinth and especially Conan rate higher, (I actually watched as much as I could take of Beastmaster 3 or 4 :bang: ) not because I dislike LOTR, but because I liked these other from my childhood more.(It was tragic, the bad guy was a rudder puppet :wail: )
    And I'd say that The Princess Bride is a great comedy fantasy film and yes getting older does spoil Labyrinth, and letting kids see it kinda has the threat of having goblins take them away seem pale since the goblins were cool, and it's a much better place then home ;) . ejsmith, you're right, I tried watching it earlier and she does detract from the muppets performance :( .
    (I am sorry, but I was bored, it was a 12 hour shft, I didn't know, I thought I could handle it :( ) Let's just agree there's loads of great films out there, and each to their own.
    Oh, BTW, probably Excalibur, it's just so great, Conan coming a close second :)

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks for mentioning Ladyhawk, Baldrak.
    I love the name itself, and my brother got his nickname Navarre from this movie.

I also like The Matrix, something completely different, but quite fictional. :)

I haven't seen that much fantasy-movies, but I remember 'Ewoks' (sp. Pretty funny.

And oh...erm... 'Dragonfire' iirc, with the voice of Sean Connery

8. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I just saw Excalibur again, after so much time, damn it's not bad plot but surely I can play better than the most of the artists there....
    On this film one can easily see why full plate armour allows only +1 dex in 3-rd Ed. :D

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That's right!

I'd totally forgotten about Dark Crystal.

That's a decent one too.

And there's that other one, Neverending Tale?

I think I watched that when I was about 4, and I don't really remember it anymore, but for some reason there's like a vague sentimental recollection of it. One day I should go back and watch it again.

And what's the one with (a VERY young) Tom Cruise and the Devil? And he has to dive in and find some ring? And there's unicorns, and swamps. And some little guy with a bow. And I think there's a dwarf, too?

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

It's not NeverEnding Tale, but NeverEnding Story. I remember liking it a lot when I was a kid. Well it's ok now. I've only seen the first one. All I hear is bad stuff about the second, plus I don't even see anything of it. It's as if it dissapeared for better or worse.

11. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I'd have to say monty python and the holy grail.
    Also there's a great itallian movie: L’lncredible Armata Brancaleone. It's really cool and also pretty funny.
    But these are comic movies.
    LOTR would probably be the best "serious" fantasy movie, but ladyhawk, Merlin and Excalibur also kick ass. Oh yeah, and The 13th Warrior (i must have watched it like 50 times).

[ December 08, 2002, 20:03: Message edited by: Mauricio Eiji ]

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Fellowship of the Ring and Willow.

13. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Anyone seen that one about the Knight who plays chess against Death? Seventh Seal I think it was called. Very good film, and damn funny. :)

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ingemar Bergman from my home country made it... that would be sweden... dunno what its name is...

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sevent Seal is the correct english name, 'Det sjunde inseglet' is the swedish name which means The seventh sail in or something so I wonder where they got seal from ;) .
    I havent seen that one but I would like to.

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I guess that would be "Legend"

"DragonHeart", with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery
    now my top three

Star Wars
    Lord of the Rings
    Conan

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Highlander was a lot of fun. (except for the decapitations).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.