1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Favorite Martial Arts Style?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Researcher Jon, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Leppi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

"I learned Shoto-kan for years. Unless you're Jet Li, martial arts is useless in a fight." The Kilted Crusader

Accually some martial arts, such as shoto-kan, are extremly effective since they focus mainly on fighting.

Most inexperienced fighters would simply hammer you without aiming, punching you on the cheeks, ribs ect, but proper training lets you put a direct and powerful blow right on one of the "soft spots" :evil: such as the temples, solar pelxus (spelling?) , or groin. :evil:

@Habourboy:
    The karate didnt make me grow at an abnormal rate, it was just something that happend, and has screwed me up athletically for the last few years.

2. Researcher Jon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey, great stuff guys! It's good to know that so many people are interested in so many different styles.

@ Gehn- I agree that JKD is a very practical style as I have read many of Bruce's books and he is always talking about economy of motion! However, wasn't his first style Wing Chun which he later developed into JKD?

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Researcher Jon

I think that's what he meant by "Ving Tsun". I guess its called different things in different places, bec I also know it as "Wing Chun".

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But not "Wang Chung".

Everybody have fun tonight (everybody wang chung tonight)......

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I like Wada Ryu :)

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ving Tsun (taiwanese translate from Cantonese)
    wing chun (direct catonese)
    yong chun (mandarin) all are the same.
    Martial art style started in southern china (Guangdong, cantonese speaking area). it was meant for women. But then guys picked it up too. The strokes are all for close combat, small but effective movements. Imagine woman that fights with dress, large skirt.. you got the point.

i couldn't resist too.

7. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I tryed Karate for 8 months and got the blue belt but I got bored of it. I would like to try Aikido. I also like Shaolin Kung Fu. Ow, yes and that medieval swordsman ideea is preety cool to! For me fighting is not about kicking but for kicking back. But not always...

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    When I'm drunk, my belief in own immortality is reinforced. Did this help you understand? :shake: :lol:

Enemies must be down and disarmed. I will be forgiving later. I typically allow them to hit me first and just take the blow on some part of body where it won't hurt, so I get away with beating them up well. Matters are different if the victim is going to be someone else. I don't really like watching people beaten.

Staves are fun as well. I have that friend who's 1.5 my weight. He'll always beat me up if we go bare-handed, but I'll always give him a beating if he tries approaching me with a staff or metal pipe. Another thing is I get a whole new mental focus if he carries that ugly pipe...

9. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Actually, TBH I'd love to be the kind of person who could go study with the Shaolin Monks. They absolutely fascinate me.

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I remember back in the late 70's those "flying" shaoling movies, I started to like martial arts, so I started to do Karate-do, then moved to Tae Kwon Do, then to Kung Fu when David Carradine walked TV as Kwai Chang Caine but when I found out that he was just a bad classic dancer I quit, then Seagal drove me crazy with Aikido so I started that too but I had to wait for 6 years because it was new around, that was the last thing I did, then I saw that everyday it was a new martial art just like shampoos or music styles...

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Oh yes, THIS I can absolutely relate to ;)

The austerity of their lifestyle (and the fact that they shave their heads daily :p ) is too much for me haha

12. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think that martial arts from India are very under-rated. I think that India and Korea make the best swords.

Also Irish martial arts never gets a mention. Anyone ever heard of the Bellow's Spear?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.